Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was there something that happened? A person who influenced you? What initially led you to learn more about homeschooling?

coffeeI'm a mom who can't sum up what's right for her family in one paragraph

Yeah, yeah, I blog, too: http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Replies (21-26):
wowguildmomma
by Member on Jun. 17, 2011 at 6:54 PM

My oldest son and my daughter are both on the autism spectrum. After the school pretty much pulled all thier supports in the last IEP meeting due to funding issues. I was pretty fed up with the school system and didn't want them to fall thru the cracks. So I discussed it with one of the mom's in our support group and she stated that some of the other moms homeschool. After researching it we decided it would be best for the family.

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Well, I'm gonna come in with a "strange" reason...but here it is. I had the very popular, very athletic, straight A student from 1-4 grade.

In 4th grade, I noticed he totally wasn't "getting" math. He was making all A's, but he didn't get it. I went to talk to the teacher and explained that he had no idea what he was doing.

She laughed at me. She said "oh, honey. He's a star football player...trust me, he'll never be allowed to fail, so don't worry about it!"

We've homeschooled ever since. I do not want a cute, athletic, meathead. It's been hard. This past year was the first year of "school" football. He couldn't play since he didn't go to school there. Didn't seem to phase him a bit once it got started and such. It did when he was catching so much crap for "not going to school to play, therefore; hurting the team." sigh.

Xakana
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM

It's a very long story, but the short of it is that public school destroyed my love of learning, my social skills and was very incompatible with both DH and I. I was physically abused by teachers, emotionally mistreated, etc. Yes, I had some WONDERFUL teachers in there, but only a small fraction of the total number of teachers that I had in all. DH had a similar end result--he has the social skills, but despises socialization. He stopped trying in school at an early age because he was miserable and it was a waste of his time--he did just enough to get by and that was it, despite a very high IQ.

I will not subject my children to the low academic standards, conformism, skewed 'socialization' and religious indoctrination of public schools (here) if I can avoid it.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Seriously, I think I love you. This is awesome. Good for you!

Quoting FlyHippie:

Well, I'm gonna come in with a "strange" reason...but here it is. I had the very popular, very athletic, straight A student from 1-4 grade.

In 4th grade, I noticed he totally wasn't "getting" math. He was making all A's, but he didn't get it. I went to talk to the teacher and explained that he had no idea what he was doing.

She laughed at me. She said "oh, honey. He's a star football player...trust me, he'll never be allowed to fail, so don't worry about it!"

We've homeschooled ever since. I do not want a cute, athletic, meathead. It's been hard. This past year was the first year of "school" football. He couldn't play since he didn't go to school there. Didn't seem to phase him a bit once it got started and such. It did when he was catching so much crap for "not going to school to play, therefore; hurting the team." sigh.

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

nikki0522
by Member on Jun. 18, 2011 at 9:18 PM

With my oldest, it was a bullying issue. He was in K and was being bullied, hit and kicked by other kids and the teacher didn't seem to have any idea what was going on. After his glasses got broken twice in one week we said enough is enough. We couldn't afford to send him to the local private school, so we decided to give homeschooling a try. We will be entering our 5th year homeschooling and we're still loving it! I now homeschool both of my boys and plan to do so straight through high school.

Follow my homeschool blog! Click here

Join The Homeschoolers Cafe - Group Admin

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Quoting MedicMommy:

Seriously, I think I love you. This is awesome. Good for you!

Quoting FlyHippie:

Yeah...I'm sure my face looked like I'd been punched when she said that! LOL! And it's all worked out. He still plays sports, he's very competitive...but, um...I will let his little butt fail if need be. haha... and holy cow, he's a kid that can throw a ball AND learn! *gasp*! HAHAHAHA

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)