Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you secular or religious in your homeschooling?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM
  • 43 Replies

My husband and kids are Catholic, I have never been baptized, but believe what I believe  ;)  I have no problem bringing a little religion into our homeschooling, but don't plan on incorporating it into every subject, and I do intend to teach about evolution as well as creation and all that jazz. 

Do you try to steer clear of religion in your schooling, bring it in as much as you can, a mix of both, or really don't think about it?

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misselphaba
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Secular.  In schooling and life.  LOL  We do not practice any religion.

frstldyhmsch
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM

My family and I do incorporate biblical studies into our lessons...but that's because we are a family that are believers of Christ and are serious about our walk. I do understand your confusion about the issue because you are not really religious yourself. What I advise is that you have a talk with your husband and come to an agreement as to what your children are taught. Because your children can become confused....they will look at the lifestyle and religious practices of you and your husband and become torn. Soooo it's best if you guys come  to some sort of agreement as to what to teach your children. Good luck! :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM

We are totally Secular but honestly we are not religious so that's the only way to go for us :) 

momversuswild
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Loving Jesus is just part of who we are and all we do.

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Ummm...tough question.  I have started teaching my son about God and Jesus...that being said, I have my own belief system that will be taught to my child.

oredeb
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

our family is christian and i use secular and christian stuff to homeschool with

nikki0522
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:16 PM

We are secular homeschoolers for the most part. 

tmgonz
by Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM

This will be our first year, So I am still picking curriculum but Jesus is a part of everything we do.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM

We don't so much "teach" religion, as it's part of our every day lives. Once Wyatt's a little older, we will teach him about other religions in addition to practicing our own. He hears about them now, but we will go into more depth.

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

momversuswild
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

same here

Quoting MedicMommy:

We don't so much "teach" religion, as it's part of our every day lives. Once Wyatt's a little older, we will teach him about other religions in addition to practicing our own. He hears about them now, but we will go into more depth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN