Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Pre-school Math

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know there are many online resources for introducing and practicing math skills for preks-Ks, but how do you go about implementing math with your little ones during your daily activities. I'll share with you that one of my 4yro daughters responsibilities as a Happy Helper is too fill the hallway drawer with baby diapers. She and I talk about how many diapers we know will fit in there neatly, then we see how many are still in there (if any) and we do the math together on our fingers. We also count often, it seems everything needs counting with my pre-ks, lol. We also take note of pairs of things and patterns. 

Where do you/did you find opportunities to practive your pre-ks math skills?

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 1:59 AM

My little one (2) actually enjoys sitting at the table when the boys are doing math and tries to use their counters to count with them.  Its rather cute.  I'd say he has 1-5 down pretty well.  He also likes to count down when attemping to jump off of things (steps, playground stairs, and occasionally the couch before he gets caught)... usually 3-2-1.  lol I will find him just randomly trying to count things... that's when I take the opportunity to try to get him to count higher :)

StefInIdaho
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM

With Liam (who will be 4 in July) we do things like counting fish he catches.... he knows the limit at Penny Lake is 6 fish. So we start with 6 and when he catches 1, I ask how many more to get to 6... same when he catches 2 and so on.... and like last week... he cause 9 but 3 got away and that made his limit of 6... and as we put them in the cooler I will say... OK, I put 3 in the cooler... how many are left?

Molly just turned 3 and is counting just "ok".... she will do 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11 teen, lol... I need to work with her more...

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM

we count socks , silverware as we put them away or take them out(subtration), count vegetables, there were always numbers on the wall and frig. , math is everywhere! how many times to brush teeth, how many fingers and toes, counting the animals, eggs, money, dishes(setting table), looking at the numbers on the road signs, gas station,  a big favorite was counting bugs on our hikes in the backyard, counting birds we see, how many fish we catch(funny one) counting how many clothes we hang out on the line, counting clothes pins(with numbers on them, ) listening in on the other kids math lessons, counting all the apples and pears we harvest! adding to the count each day or taking away

heres some more ideas we used, and a good article by ruth beechick

http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/search/label/math

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM

With my son, we use every day toys to count and add.  Like his hotwheels.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM

My son counts EVERYTHING! It can take an age just to read a short picture book with him since he can find things to count on every page, lol! 

I like all the ways you ladies make math count :)

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Measuring, helping to cook, looking at labels together when grocery shopping and cooking, reading (or reading with) recipes and learning the different measures.  Building shapes, blocks.  Sorting is a huge one.  Buttons, candy, anything!  Patterns.  Noticing patterns in fabrics, wall papers, anything.  Creating patterns with items or colors.  Counting of course.  Reading numbers on license plates.  Measuring with a tape.  Card games of any kind.  Fish, Crazy 8's, all of them!  Chutes and Ladders, patterns and counting on the Candyland board, Hi-Ho Cherry-O...

MommaChell
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Quoting TigerofMu:

Measuring, helping to cook, looking at labels together when grocery shopping and cooking, reading (or reading with) recipes and learning the different measures.  Building shapes, blocks.  Sorting is a huge one.  Buttons, candy, anything!  Patterns.  Noticing patterns in fabrics, wall papers, anything.  Creating patterns with items or colors.  Counting of course.  Reading numbers on license plates.  Measuring with a tape.  Card games of any kind.  Fish, Crazy 8's, all of them!  Chutes and Ladders, patterns and counting on the Candyland board, Hi-Ho Cherry-O...

Cooking really takes the cake (pun intended) when it comes to just about everything; math, reading, telling time, measuring, following directions/instructions in sequence, patience, self-control when it doesn't come out right, hahahah! Really though, depending on what you're making and how decitant you're getting with it, you really use so many skills and can cover a ton of subjects; it's just a tasty and fun way to learn all around! My kids love learning in the kitchen and so do I.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN