Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

TV Time...

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM
  • 16 Replies

How much TV do you and your kids watch during your school week, and when do you find yourselves watching it? Is having too much TV Time something you struggle with? What types of programs are you and your family watching?

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM

We do not have cable because I'm so CHEAP! LOL But we have Netflix and the kids are always watching shows/movies on there. When I'm not home I know they are prob watching too much tv... little one loves spongebob, Diego, Phineos and Ferb, backyardagans, and Wonder Pets.   Now the older kids will watch their cartoons too but they mostly enjoy things like Myth Busters, Dirty Jobs, etc.... stuff that I find educational so I don't complain too much.    When I'm here though typically they don't watch too much, we are busy going places and doing things... so maybe a little evening time.  I think we struggle more with them wanting to play video games too much than the tv watching :) 

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM

We don't have cable or anything, so my son gets PBS.  During the week he watches 1 to 2 hours spread out during the day depending of if he has computer time.  On the weekends he may get a little more....weekends during the fall he DOES get more....(that's football season!)

MommaTasha1003
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM

(mon-thurs) In the morning my dd will watch 30m-1hr of cartoons while waking up/eating breakfast. The tv will go off the rest of the day until about 3pm (we live with my mom-long story) when my mom comes home from work. Then the tv stays on whatever she is watching until its bedtime.

On the weekends (because of my mom) my dd gets more cartoon time than id like (but its not worth fighting over. Im done with that. Just trying to get our own place).

My dd enjoys watching Dino Dan, Dinosaur Train, Sunny Patch, PinkyDinkyDo... its a long list. Kids are not picky! lol...

99% of what I enjoy watching is reality. Biggest Loser, Food Revolution, Teen Mom, Duggars. But that doesnt mean I always remember to watch it! haha. I LOVE documentries I find on Netflix too! (health, food, vaccines,education)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM
We really don't watch tv much. Occasionally the girls will ask to watch super why or the wild kratts. Other than that the tv is off most of the time. We are just too busy. I don have anything against it, just no time!

We als
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 19, 2011 at 7:22 AM
Also do not have cable but have been considering Netflix. I have heard it's nice to have while homeschooling but I don't know yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Boobah- Netflix rocks... we stream through our Wii!   Give it a shot!!! 

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Wyatt plays games on the computer, typically. That's where our fight is for the most part.

I really only watch TV when he is playing the computer or before bed

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM

we never had a tv so none!

MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Quoting oredeb:

we never had a tv so none!

Wow....seriously, can I come live with you for a while, I think I'd learn a LOT?!? :)

MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM

We don't have cable/satellite/netflix/any of that, we do have public broadcasting so the kids will watch Qubo here and there. We have a slew of shows/movies that they enjoy and learn from. They watch tv hear and there through out our day, but not on a set schedule. Usually when they are snacking, breakfast, or need some down time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)