Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much TV do you and your kids watch during your school week, and when do you find yourselves watching it? Is having too much TV Time something you struggle with? What types of programs are you and your family watching?

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Replies (11-16):
mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM
We don't have cable or even basic channels but we do have Netflix. We stream it through the wii or PS3 depending on which room we're in. We also have a ton of DVDs.

I don't know how much they actually watch but since we turned off the cable the TV is on a LOT less. They play more with each other.

The boys love just about any show that they used to watch on PBS, veggie tales and many Disney movies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElectraSpy
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Haven't had television here for nearly 5 yrs, don't miss it one bit. Kids have a 10 in Dvd player mounted up in the corner in their playroom that they sometimes watch movies on, but its so small they usually don't care to watch it unless they're sick & motionless on the couch. We have computers as our outlet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I personally use my computer to watch my shows, my hub and I will watch stuff together on the computer as well.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2011 at 6:18 AM

We don't watch TV during the school day unless it's something that goes with our lesson.  After school, it depends.  If it is a beautiful day and they can play outside, then that is where they go first.  If there's bad weather, or it's cold, I will usually have them play or read for awhile, but I sometimes let them watch an hour or so in the afternoon.  Some of the afternoon shows are more grown up, but they really like Seventh Heaven, so we check out one season at a time from the library, and they often watch it during their TV time.  It's funny, because I have a huge box of videotapes somewhere.  I recorded every episode of 7th Heaven when I was a teenager because I wanted to watch it with my kids when I grew up.  Now I see there are some things that are actually pretty grown up, but I'm watching it with them (or right there so I can hear what is happening) and talking to them about it, so it doesn't bother me as much.

On Saturdays I usually let them watch those cartoons they miss during the week, like Handy Manny, then they can play in the afternoon.  In the winter we sometimes work on Saturdays, and spend Monday or Tuesday with my DH, doing family activities and field trips.

oredeb
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

hi chell, thats when my kids were younger, our first tv was probably lets see my oldest was 12 or 13. now days we do have a tv mounted on the wall!

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting oredeb:

we never had a tv so none!

Wow....seriously, can I come live with you for a while, I think I'd learn a LOT?!? :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 4:47 PM

We've actually been cutting back, since our schooling is becoming more involved. We're too busy on the weekends generally for tv-time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)