Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A question of influence...

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM
  • 8 Replies

Who do you believe has been the most influential person in your life's education and why? 

I was meditating on this question today and it occurred to me that my mother would have to take the prize, but not in the way one might think. My mother and I were, regrettably, not close. In fact I learned few positive things from her while she was living. It was in her sickness and eventual death that I learned the most valuable lesson's from my mother. Loosing her changed me as a person and sparked in me the desire to pursue knowledge, health, and happiness in relationships with loved ones. If nothing else, I'm glad that I can honor her as being my motivation, thanks mom!

How bout you?

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Very interesting!  This is something I have never really thought about....

I would have to say my grandfather was a huge influence.  He's been gone 12yrs and I still find myself thinking "Grandpa would be proud" when I've done something great or that I just know he would pat me on the back for lol....  But I can't really say that my choices in life and who I've worked to become come from his influence so much.  I'd have to agree with you and say my mother... and like you not in a positive way.  My mother and I currently are not speaking, I don't see things changing either.  Most things I do in my life I try to do NOT like her... I've tried very hard to become someone different!   Her parenting, way of thinking, lifestyle, I could go on and on.  But I guess I owe her a Thank you like you say because if it wasn't for the way she is, I don't know that I would be who I am today!  Thanks for posting this is giving me some things to think about! :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:24 AM
Hmmm that is a hard question. My family didn't place much value on education and could have cared less tha I finished college. Somehow I cared and got great grades and graduated hs and college with honors. I guess I was self motivated, maybe I just didn't want to be like them? Idk... They did well for themselves so I'm not sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

Very interesting!  This is something I have never really thought about....

I would have to say my grandfather was a huge influence.  He's been gone 12yrs and I still find myself thinking "Grandpa would be proud" when I've done something great or that I just know he would pat me on the back for lol....  But I can't really say that my choices in life and who I've worked to become come from his influence so much.  I'd have to agree with you and say my mother... and like you not in a positive way.  My mother and I currently are not speaking, I don't see things changing either.  Most things I do in my life I try to do NOT like her... I've tried very hard to become someone different!   Her parenting, way of thinking, lifestyle, I could go on and on.  But I guess I owe her a Thank you like you say because if it wasn't for the way she is, I don't know that I would be who I am today!  Thanks for posting this is giving me some things to think about! :)

You are very welcome :) I'm glad that I could inspire meaningful thought for you. Bests~

MommaChell
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Boobah:

Hmmm that is a hard question. My family didn't place much value on education and could have cared less tha I finished college. Somehow I cared and got great grades and graduated hs and college with honors. I guess I was self motivated, maybe I just didn't want to be like them? Idk... They did well for themselves so I'm not sure.

Looking back it seems as though my parent's didn't expect anything out of me, or my brothers, or really care what we did. While that can make me sad, It more often makes me wonder why they didn't care to guide/direct us more than they did (which was very little). It's almost as if they expected us to naturally know what good we were suppose to do or figure it out for ourselves....*sigh*.

My heart swells knowing that my children will not suffer as I did. I get excited thinking about where they will go in life. I hope to be one of their greatest influences in the most positive of ways!

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:50 PM

My 6th grade english/science teacher. That woman was amazing! She is the reason I began writing.

My parents aren't very educated people, they are good people, don't get me wrong, I'm not putting them down, but not educated and don't place much value on education.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22