Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What else... (s/o of Chicken post)

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:51 AM
  • 19 Replies

...makes you less mainstream?

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2011 at 8:16 AM
Well, I like to think not being considered "normal" is a good thing. :)
To other people, they would think I'm weird because we:

Cloth diaper
Breastfeed (extended, but are now done)
Natural med free birth
Baby wear (when I had a baby)
Homeschool
Extended rear face my 2 year old and my almost 6 year old is still in a 5 point harness.
Don't watch tv much
We try to avoid hfcs, dyes, etc
We take a natural, holistic approach to health and wellness and are against meds unless there is no other option.
I don't let my kids or animals run the neighborhood (that's normal around here).
I use mama cloth and the diva cup because I am terrified of the chemicals in tampons and pads.
I'm sure I'm weird in more ways. Haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I totally want to try mama cloth, but I have really heavy clots (I have a bleeding disorder, and I suspect endometriosis) My cervix is misshapen after surgery, so I don't know if a diva cup would work.

Otherwise, we could be twins!

SuprMom12042702
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM
I am a breastfeeding baby wearing mama. I am currently breastfeeding my 5 month old (with some supplimenting with formula) i wear him when he lets me. He isnt like it right now. I co sleep with the kids. they sleep in my room not in my bed. I havent tried out the diva cup but i want to. We dont buy paper towels. We use dish towels and wash cloths instead. We are starting homeschool this school. I have my 7 year old and 6 year old in a booster seat still (i am getting grief for this because they are too big for them lol)my 19 month old is in a 5 point harnss carseat. She isnt rear facing. But i will probably keep my 5 month old rear facing til 2 since the laws are in the process of changing. I had one med free birth and swore i would never do tht again lol but we are a non medicating family unless necessary.
Ummm... I think that is about it lol. Oh i believe in teaching my kids manners and dicipline. I also being in making them learn life skills, how to lose gracefully and that life isnt fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Pretty much everything Boobah said! LOL

Cloth diaper
Breastfeed (extended, but are now done)
Natural med free birth (I didn't have an epidural but I did cave and get meds)
Baby wear (when I had a baby)

Homeschool (Delayed academics which makes me weird even amoung some homeschoolers!)
Extended rear face my 2 year old and my almost 6 year old is still in a 5 point harness. (Both mine were rear facing until around 3ish-when ever they reached the max weight limit for rear facing)
Don't watch tv much (eh, we watcha  ton of TV here-but mostly educational-I'm very strict about what they watch-no sponge bob, no fairly odd parents, etc)
We try to avoid hfcs, dyes, etc (my oldest is allergic to red dye-try to avoid prepacakaged foods. I make our own bread, homemade yogurt, etc)
We take a natural, holistic approach to health and wellness and are against meds unless there is no other option. (We rarely go tot he doctor and stopped doing vaccines-even treating my broken finger at home! LOL)
I don't let my kids or animals run the neighborhood (that's normal around here). (We do have an indoor/outdoor dog that runs loose sometimes but...)
I use mama cloth and the diva cup because I am terrified of the chemicals in tampons and pads.(I have used cloth pads but not the diva cup-but I haven't had a period in over a year so.....)

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM
Oh yes I forgot we do not vax either.

And you should try the diva cup. It rocks. I use mama cloth for night backup and light ones for the occasional leak. I would think it would work well for the clotting though. You just may need to empty more often.
Ever since I started using it I barely even remember I'm ON my period.

Sorry, a little rave there. Haha

We also do not use paper plates, cutlery, or towels unless it is a party. I'm just not up for all those dishes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM

hrm, well....I prefer to eat vegan and enjoy raw foods, I don't care for grains, and I don't consume sugar, caffeine, sodas, or chocolate, so most people will look at me like I have three heads upon learning all that. I also distill my family's consumable water, don't socialize with my neighbors (for obvious reasons) or let my kids run around the street/neighborhood wild. I'm pro breastfeeding, especially modestly in public. Both my parent's and my bio sibling are passed away (I have an adopted brother still living), I don't have a belly-button <----hahaha, it's true, due to surgery as a baby. I don't swear. I'm modest and I raise my kids to be respectful and disciplined. We don't have cable or satellite. My kids don't know what a happy meal is or who Hanna Montana is. My children eat salads and veggies happily, even plain. My hub and I met on Eharmony...I'm sure there's plenty more that one might think odd about me & mine :) 

Fun thread MedicMommy, it's fun to share and learn this stuff about each other!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I like this post!!!  Well I'm just going to pick out what people always have some negative comment about that I do..

My kids do not have a bedtime... My little one will go to bed with me but the older 3 I allow to stay up till whenever they fall asleep as long as they are quiet while I'm trying to sleep.  lol  With Camp now though they've been crashing out EARLY!

I let my kids play video games a lot of parents would shreek at... My kids and I talk a lot about what's right, wrong, real, fake... ok, not ok, etc.  I have full confidence that video games are not rotting their brains... actually video games have improved my oldest reading greatly because he had to learn to read better to get to the next levels... he

hmm what else... I cuss... yep I admit it... I'm not like a sailor or anything but from time to time something flies out of my mouth.  Funny thing, I've never been embarassed by my children repeating anything, they usually scold me.  LOL 

I do not go to church... I consider myself more spiritual.  I believe in some form of higher power but prob not like the majority of people do.  I am very much into the law of attraction... I believe we attract the good and bad to us whether we realize it or want to admit it or not.  I believe in the power of positive thinking.  

Gosh I could prob go on and on and on... I'll save some for later! :)  Oh wait one more...

I no longer believe in Vaccinations (my older 3 had some)... none with 4th and no more for others... and we only go to the doctor when we absolutely must...  we do all we can to avoid meds of any kind...

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

LauretteLynn
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Heehee this is a great question. 

Well, I host a radio show/podcast about 'unplugged' familiy living and home ed so that about sums it all up - Unplugged as in from the compulsory matrix :)    But here's the details about what else makes us non-conventional:

Home Education (secular, no cirriculum)
Vaccine Free
Organic Vegetarian (mostly)
Holistic, Natural wellness and health (Dh owns natural wellness company)

I think these pretty much sum it all up and the rest of the details fall under those :) 

I just want to add that I use a diva cup and it really is just the best dang thing I discovered in womans products over the last decade! lol  :)

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Let's see...I feel like I'm really still evolving in this area.

With DS I was pretty mainstream until he was about 4. So some of this is what I will do when we have another

~We don't, and won't, use birth control (Other than NFP when the time comes. I know, I know, but dealing with infertility has reinforced this for us)
~I no longer vax. He hasn't gotten his 4 year vax's, and won't get any more
~I will cloth diaper the next one
~He is 6 and JUST came out of his harness
~I'm learning how to make my own herbal remedies. (This is huge, since I've always worked in the medical field) We still use modern medicine for some stuff (Like my endometriosis). I'm at the very begining of this particular chapter in my life
~Part of my 5 year plan includes chickens, a huge vegetable garden, and maybe raising our own Thanksgiving and CHristmas turkeys
~We use gentile discipline
~We try to "unplug" one day a week. No computers, TV, limited phone
~We will EBF and baby wear
~I want to try momma cloth
~I'm exploring options for a homebirth (I just don't know if I can, because of some health issues)
~I have a friend who has made me jewelry based on the power of the stones

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Oh yeah! And I'm trying to relearn how to sew. I want to make my own cloth diapers, as well as some skirts, bags, etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)