Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What else... (s/o of Chicken post)

Posted by   + Show Post

...makes you less mainstream?

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 7:51 AM
Replies (11-19):
luvthesoap
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I homschool ( with some mix of unschooling)

I dont Vax anymore.

I use cloth peroid pads.

When my kids were young we co-sleeped.

I breastfed .

I allow my 16 year old to take an drink every once in a while. ( He has never had more than 2 drinks at a time. Never been drunk) He has to drink it at home, with us.

Betty in Ky

DusksAngel
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Cloth diapering, Breastfeeding (although this is the norm for my family), Baby wearing, ERF and EH, and homeschooling

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:38 AM

What a fun post! LOL!

Well, I've got the breastfeeding, cloth diaper, cosleeping, baby wearing thing, too.... so I get teased a lot about being the local hippie chick...hahaha... So I guess those things that are normal for us make us less mainstream...

But in "this" world I'm not mainstream because I have a highly competitive sporty kid. He plays competitive baseball, basketball and is an extreme sports kid. I spent 6 hrs of my day yesterday driving to/from or sitting at a baseball practice. 

I cuss, too....whatever. I don't censor music, etc. He loves heavy rock/screamo/etc. Of course he does. He's 13 and a drummer. No biggie. I don't censor much with him...we discuss it all rather than censor it. Lesson I learned from hearing an interview with Marilyn Manson. Was eye opening.

He DOES hang out with public school kids. He plays sports with them, he goes to the school dances here and next year, he will go on the 8th grade Washington DC trip with the public school here so he can experience that with his friends. (He has many homeschool friends, too...but we like diversity)

We live in a teeny tiny town in Texas. Very conservative, very southern baptist....and we're buddhist. and pretty liberal...and drink and stuff...LOL...(and have parties where we have everything from crazy musicians, heavy drinkers, to preachers and non drinkers....did I mention we dig diversity?)

Also, I homeschool not because DS had a rough time in school....but the opposite. He was popular, athletic, straight a student.......and I felt THOSE things were hindering him.

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM

OH WAIT! I thought of two more:

I am a homebirther.....

AND my kids' ages aren't mainstream. I have a 24 year old, a 20 year old, a 13 year old and my daughter, Willow, would be 6 months if she had lived....

and I have an 18 month old granddaughter that stays with us....

and we're still TTC more! LOL!

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Oh yes, medicmommy reminded me I would totally do ahomebirth if I thought it was safe for me, but like you I have some medical issues that make me uncomfortable with it.

I also have started wearing mostly skirts/dresses. So that makes me weird.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22