Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you learn on the road?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

With summer time seeming to be in full swing, many families are taking time to travel. For us homeschoolers, the learning never really stops- does it!?!  How do you continue to encourage your children's learning and academics when you're traveling and away from home?

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM

You know I've always been one to worry when we take breaks from schooling... are my kids not learning enough?, yada yada... but you are very right.. learning never stops.  I don't really have to encourage it when we are off running around...My kids are always telling me things they learned and I'll be like "where did you learn that"... they will say...oh this show or that show or when we went here or there... I'm floored!  I don't think I learned this easy when I was a kid... lol 

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM

We do try to make it a point to "sneak" learning in....maybe make it a point to do something that we intend to be educational as well as fun. But most of the time, it just happens

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:15 AM

What a great opportunity to teach about map reading!  Reading can be encouraged in the car and on the road, we play learning games, and I usually get tehm a state information page about any place that we are traveling through.  I love it when we have an opportunity to go someplace fun and educational as well, but we can learn anywhere!

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM

nothing special, ;they just always seem to be learning with life!

meeting new people when we travel, looking up where we are going, planning our meals, making things we need to bring, going to the library checking out books to bring along or books on the area we are going, checking the weather, the fishing  or hunting laws out, figuring out what we need to bring to camp,  so all that includes, math, history, science, writing, art, pe, spellling, vocb etc! = life!!!

cedailey
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Maps, milage math, and Audio Books for in the car. 

MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:30 PM

For now, we use the car time as family time and have some fun, silly, and enlightening convos with our little ones. We also take their doodles along and take turns drawing what we see. We break often on long hauls, so we're out examining things and answering their questions. We also discuss where we're going and why. I love the idea of getting them involved in the process of packing and preparing food, as well as, getting them info packets and familiar with maps. So many things to look forward to!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN