Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning Disabilities?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

Anyone have children with Learning Disabilities? 

My oldest was diagnosed with long and short term memory retention issues... though this last year he's improved GREATLY!  My 9yr old is on the Autism Spectrum and we struggle daily on so many levels.  He is barely reading... its 2 steps forward and 1 step back but oh how far he's come in so many ways!  :) 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvthesoap
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM

My son has ADhd, short term memory problems, and a thing called " written language disorder'. HE is 16 and on a 7th grade level. Conserding that the Dr's said he would never be bale to walk, talk, or take care of himseld, I feel he's doing really good! stephen has a Vp Shunt for " Water on the Brain". He has had a lot of revisons on it. Twice he had bleeds in his brain, which causes brain damage.

Betty in ky

nikki0522
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

My DS#2 is on the Autism Spectrum with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. He is only 4 1/2, so I really have no idea what his schooling is going to be like, and I am so stressed about teaching him to read. He does know the alphabet, recognises all of the capital letters and most of the lower case letters, can count up into the twenties and recognises numbers up into the 30's, so I think we're off to a good start so far.

Follow my homeschool blog! Click here

Join The Homeschoolers Cafe - Group Admin

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Quoting luvthesoap:

My son has ADhd, short term memory problems, and a thing called " written language disorder'. HE is 16 and on a 7th grade level. Conserding that the Dr's said he would never be bale to walk, talk, or take care of himseld, I feel he's doing really good! stephen has a Vp Shunt for " Water on the Brain". He has had a lot of revisons on it. Twice he had bleeds in his brain, which causes brain damage.

Betty in ky

Wow Betty!  That's amazing he has come so far!  What exactly does written language disorder mean?  Does it mean he has all the knowledge in his head but has a hard time taking it from the brain to paper?  Just curious, hope you don't mind me asking :)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Quoting nikki0522:

My DS#2 is on the Autism Spectrum with a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. He is only 4 1/2, so I really have no idea what his schooling is going to be like, and I am so stressed about teaching him to read. He does know the alphabet, recognises all of the capital letters and most of the lower case letters, can count up into the twenties and recognises numbers up into the 30's, so I think we're off to a good start so far.

Nikki its really great that your son can do all of those things already! Very good sign!  Hopefully there will be no issues with schooling what so ever!....

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM

My oldst is has ADHD and SPD.

Homeschooling has helped him greatly vs PS wit this though

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22