Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone familiar with this online public school?

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine in Arizona is embarking on taking over the home education of a close friends child. She is looking into this school and asked me about it. I have the wonderful option of being able to ping you Ladies, so I'm asking if anyone has used it (or something similar) and what you're opinion is. Thanks in advance!

Bests~

by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Replies (11-12):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Quoting BritRose:

I am actually seriously looking into using Connections Academy for my (going into) 5th grade daughter!  She has been in the public school up to now, but I have gotten more and more unhappy with it as she went along.   Over the past few months I have been asking little questions here and there, and was in her classroom a little more than any other year, and realized that her classroom is practically chaos!  She is one of those people who just cant concentrate with Any distractions.  I know that the school system would say that she "needs to learn to deal with it", but um... she has had 5 Years to learn that and hasnt.  She just doent learn well in a traditional public school setting.  I havent ruled out more traditional homeschooling methods for the future, but at  least for now I think we are going to go with Connections, as well as supplementing with a Bible curriculum.  One thing I am wondering, especially from those who have had experience with them, do you Have to be online at certain times?  I work part time and have a hyperactive preschooler, so we will have to be able to work around different schedules.  I know that with Connections they are on the actual computer less when they are younger, gradually adding time as they get to the higher grades. (as per their rep on the phone)  I guess I could call and ask... lol.  I'll keep checking back on this feed, and add any info that I find out myself. 

You don't have to be online at certain times you just check in daily for attendance and check off lessons as you do them... it has a scheduler that helps you set everything up and you can take days as field trip days, etc.  You typically have a phone convo with your childs teacher every other week same time/day unless you need to contact them more :)  It really is a neat program ;) 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

MommaChell
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

Yes actually I am!  I used it for Kindergarten with my oldest before trying public school and then going back to homeschooling.  I was very happy with it!!!  But its very much like public school... just at home so if its something your friend is interested in... she needs to be sure she's wanting homeschooling to be like regular school.  lol  Good thing is all curriculum, computer, and even some supplies are provided :)

Great info, thanks so much for replying again. At this point I don't think she knows much about homeschooling and her options as far as flexibility with scheduling and such. Me, being a pre-k mom, I don't have much to pass her way except for what I read about other moms doing. Her homeschooler is a 5th grader currently in PS. It seems as though, from what she's told me, that he may have some social issues and possibly some learning disabilities. The blessed thing about homeschooling is that you can go at the pace and level of the child, and that's how she'll go about figuring out what's best for him and where he's needing extra attention. For now, I think getting him out of PS and into her daily structure is going to help tons! I've been sending stuff her way and I appreciate your experience based info to pass along. Thanks again!

I have to be honest if there are possible learning disabilities I would suggest to your friend that she just homeschool without using a program like this.  It makes it very hard to slow down to the level this child may need to grasp things... I have heard they will customize things for your child but that's with a diagnosis :)  If you want to PM me, I can give you my email, etc... I'd be happy to chat with your friend even though my info is about 5yrs old lol  I don't think its changed too much.  :)

Thanks much! I'll def keep that in mind, it hadn't occured to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN