Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you make your own unit studies?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

We do. We're very child led and use mostly free and frugal resources so it works well for us. Anyne else do their own unit studies?

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22

by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I'm thinking about it. Right now I'm leaning towards doing that, but maybe using a traditional curriculum for Math.

How do you do it? I'm thinking of reading a chapter out of a book on Monday for fun, reading it Tuesday to pick out words for spelling, then doing activities based on what's in the chapter

TroyboysMom
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Yes. I like to tie everything together to draw parallels or connections that he can see in his work.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM

We currently use a unit study curriculum called Learning Adventures, but I often build/add things.  When we first started, I built my own, and during the summer, we put our regular curriculum aside and do unit studies based on specific things that we want to know more about, or experiences or trips we are/will have.

Mom71307
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:56 AM

At the moment, my kids are really young (almost 4 and 21 months and still cooking) so I am not doing too much formal right now.  I will write my own.  Actually, I have a couple things that I wrote in college that I will adapt and use with my kids since I liked them so much!

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:48 AM

yes, i make our unit studies

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I use Unit Studies, but I buy pre-packaged ones. I'm not creative enough to make my own.

Betty in Ky

Melissa6705
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM
I am really interested in Unit Studies and want to do them more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Which ones do you use?

Quoting luvthesoap:

I use Unit Studies, but I buy pre-packaged ones. I'm not creative enough to make my own.

Betty in Ky

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Here are some of the things we've used/invented...I had more, but the other computer died before I got them uploaded.

https://sites.google.com/site/freshwateracademy/home/tools-for-school

oredeb
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

these are great tiger!!!!

Quoting TigerofMu:

Here are some of the things we've used/invented...I had more, but the other computer died before I got them uploaded.

https://sites.google.com/site/freshwateracademy/home/tools-for-school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)