Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool ? for all you ladies with experience.

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am a 40 year old high school grad, who has an underachieving public schooler in high school. He is ADHD and is very intelligent. Does well in subjects but but has little motivation to do the work at school. Which has lead to him adding an additional year to his curriculum. He will now graduate in 2 years instead of next year. I am thinking of trying to homeschool him to get him to graduate on time. Is this even possible? What do I need to know? I have always found that I have more patience with his ADHD than Most teachers( he has had a few that were wonderful). Medication for ADHD was never very successful, although many teachers( the not so good ones) pushed very hard to continue medicating. But when a child responds to medication by withdrawing socially it is never a good thing.

Anyhoo, if any of you experienced ladies could help with some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

My biggest questions, is this goal even possible, what do I need to know about costs, How much from school do I need to remember. He still needs to complete his Sr. year of English, One semester of Algebra, US History( one of my strong skills), Government, Economy, and mostly hours of electives after that.  I am looking for all the negative issues that I may run into also.

Thanks for any help you ladies can give! Much appreciated!

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 6:32 AM

I am not that experienced, to be perfectly honest. One thing is you need to find out what the laws are in your state.

It is possible for him to graduate on time. Even in high school, the homeschool day is significantly less than the traditional school day time-wise. It's all a matter of how much he can get done with the ADHD.

As far as what YOU need to know.,...someone I met at a conference this weekend put it best. You only need to stay one day ahead of him.

jennrace
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 6:36 AM

I am in Indiana, any Mom's with advice on IN laws?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Bump :)  I have a first grader. 

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:43 AM

find your state law here http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

there will probably be some other info here you'll need, look around the site

jennrace
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Quoting oredeb:

find your state law here http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

there will probably be some other info here you'll need, look around the site

Thank-you. Looks like a plethora of information. Just beginning to read. I will be back if I have more questions. That's your warning, LOL. No, really, thanks for your help!

oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM

good keep asking questions!!!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I don't have any advice on if its possible to bring him home and have him graduate on time as I'm still in the yougner years, but I do have experience with ADHD... so I understand exactly where you are coming from on the motivation, medication not being successful, etc... if you just need to chat, feel free to PM me and welcome to the board!!!

Danielle163
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Have you been over to secularhomeschool.com? There are quite a few of them that have high schoolers.

LauretteLynn
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Please contact Laurie, at http://www.laurieacouture.com/  She is a counceler for parents with special needs kids and she is a home education advocate.   Tell her Laurette sent you :) Laurie can help you!!

jennrace
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Thanks all, I will be checking into all of these. I must admit the first day of looking into this was a bit overwhelming. I will have plenty of time to dive in again tomorrow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)