Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool ? for all you ladies with experience.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a 40 year old high school grad, who has an underachieving public schooler in high school. He is ADHD and is very intelligent. Does well in subjects but but has little motivation to do the work at school. Which has lead to him adding an additional year to his curriculum. He will now graduate in 2 years instead of next year. I am thinking of trying to homeschool him to get him to graduate on time. Is this even possible? What do I need to know? I have always found that I have more patience with his ADHD than Most teachers( he has had a few that were wonderful). Medication for ADHD was never very successful, although many teachers( the not so good ones) pushed very hard to continue medicating. But when a child responds to medication by withdrawing socially it is never a good thing.

Anyhoo, if any of you experienced ladies could help with some advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

My biggest questions, is this goal even possible, what do I need to know about costs, How much from school do I need to remember. He still needs to complete his Sr. year of English, One semester of Algebra, US History( one of my strong skills), Government, Economy, and mostly hours of electives after that.  I am looking for all the negative issues that I may run into also.

Thanks for any help you ladies can give! Much appreciated!

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM
Replies (11-12):
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 12:05 AM

If you contact HSLDA.org they can anser all your questions-they are there for more than just legal insurance incase someone turns us homeschoolers in for truency or educational neglegt. They have a whole high school section too. If you do decide to homeschool, membership is only $10/mo, so very afforable.

Sorry I can't be more help, my oldest is in 2nd grade.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!