Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

S/O - "I couldn't do it" and "it's not my job"

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM
  • 4 Replies

I hear people all the time say they "couldn't homeschool" and hear them complain when it is spring or summer vacation because their kids are driving them nuts.  I apologize to anyone who I may be offending here, but since when is it someone elses job to raise your kids?  Did *you* have them, or adopt them?  Then YOU are the one responsible for them until they are 18.

I also hear my neighbor often say "it's the school's job to teach my kid to read, not mine!"  or "that's her dad's job, I don't care if she (for example rides a bike) ever!" 

I personally feel I am responsible for everything regarding my child!  And if someone helps me out, that's a total bonus, but never would I expect someone else to teach my kid without me helping, even if they were public schooled.  I can see if they are wanting to learn about something and I have no clue, then I would ask for help if I couldn't figure it out, but the amount of people who expect other's to teach/care for their kids amazes me. 

Sorry, but I keep hearing how people can't stand being with their kids all day and it's driving me insane!  haha 

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM

oh boobah i agree.

they are our kids and we should be responsible for them in every way, even paying for their education ourselves instead of taxing everyone to pay for public schools.

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I use that summer example to people all the time. When they come at me with the "oh, you do a GREAT job, but most homeschoolers don't do ANYTHING...."

I always say back:

You know, I've never met a homeschooler that didn't do anything. I've met some that it didn't work out for so the kid went back to school....but...you know how bored and irritating your kids are in the summer? (oh yeah! they always say) Well, that's what we'd have ALL THE TIME if we let them do nothing. Our kids aren't on our nerves because they're BUSY...

and I always get an "ooooh....I never thought of that....."

Totally weirds me out when people think we're so unusual because we actually DO stuff....sigh...

SuprMom12042702
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 1:09 PM
It amazes me when people are amazed by how bright my kids are. For example my 19 month old can and will say please thank you ajd excuse you. They asked, how does she know that and i am like i taught her. And the response usually is well my kids learned it in daycare.
My idiot mother asked me one day why i taught my kids their abcs numbers basic colors and shapes before they started kindergarten. My smartass comment to her was i dont want my kids to be stupid like your kids. (side note my mom adopted my sisters kids ajd the poor things can barely talk much less know anything at the ages of 3 1/2 and 2) but in all seriousness why wouldnt i want my kids to know things. i am their mother and yes they drive me crazy but i enjoy being the one to teach them.
I think its the dumbing down of america honestly. people are growing more stupid and lazier with each generation so therefore the kids are missing out on what they need to know and learning nothing except how to be fat and lazy.
This is actually a topic i could go on and on about but it is difficult typing all of this on my cell phone so i will just shutup lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Sooooo agree and I hear it all the time too, turns my stomach really!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN