Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Extra phonic program??? (piog)

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is about half way through K (we are using MFW). He is starting to read but it is very choppy and not getting any better. He sounds out every word still. Even after a few weeks of reading the same book he has to sound out every word. Would adding Alpha-Phonics to this work?? I think he needs more practice and he is getting bored with the books we have so I thought this might be a good cheap way of getting more practice. Any one try this or have any ideas?? Thanks!!

by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 6:58 AM

How often do you just read to him?

Someone said something at the convention this weekend...that, like potty training, kids will just "get it" one day. Yes, in school they need to read by whatever grade, but at home, how much does that matter? I'm not saying he doesn't ever need to learn, but just that it's a skill they tend to master when they are ready.

oredeb
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM

what i did with my son was make him some phonics readers up.  and was consistant in doing the reading everyday, with both of us reading

romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 4:57 AM

When children know their phonic sounds, but are having trouble blending them to form words this video should help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dlCPVeWtIk

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM

I, personally, hated reading out loud when I was in school.  I have a speech problem and I just knew that everybody was laughing at me.  I agree with MedicMommy, does it really matter if he's choppy if you homeschool?  Maybe he's just not comfortable reading out lound.  Keep working with him, but I wouldn't out too much preasure on him.

scrapin_mom
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Quoting MedicMommy:

How often do you just read to him?

Someone said something at the convention this weekend...that, like potty training, kids will just "get it" one day. Yes, in school they need to read by whatever grade, but at home, how much does that matter? I'm not saying he doesn't ever need to learn, but just that it's a skill they tend to master when they are ready.

I read to him all the time. I guess it doesn't matter at this point. Never really looked at it like that. He just picked up on the sounds so fast I thought he would be reading better at this point. Maybe I'll just give him more time and see how that goes. Thanks.

scrapin_mom
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Quoting oredeb:

what i did with my son was make him some phonics readers up.  and was consistant in doing the reading everyday, with both of us reading

I never thought of making readers up. Great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:20 PM

We made our own books on the computer or on paper and put in photos or magazine pics to illustrate.  Simple, short, easy things with lots of sight words, like "The house is green"...if there are decodable words you want to work in, just focus on them.  Don't use a ton of different words for each book.  

Another thing we used a lot is building words and sentences, and dictation.  Buy a metal cookie sheet and some magnetic letters, and a dry erase board.  Practice building, then writing words with the sound combinations that you want to work on.  Tell him a word, and have him write it, using the sounds he knows.  You can even dictate a simple sentence.  

Write a sentence on a strip of paper and cut it up for him to put back together, then keep it in an envelope with the sentence written on the front.  He can also write his own sentence strips and even simple books.

No, there isn't a time deadline since you get to teach him at home, and he gets to learn at his own pace, but these are some things you can do to encourage, support and assist him along the way!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Here are some pictures I found of things that are similar to what I have used both in various grade levelled classrooms and with my own children, now that I am blessed enough to be teaching them.

Also, you can make one of these out of PVC pipe, but they are useful for letting a child read aloud to himself and hear the sounds as he's making them.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Making your own readers is a great idea, as well as, using the magnetic letters and cookie sheets; both those would be great for my kids right now.

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM

IMO, you don't need another phonics program, you just need some trips to the libaray. Take him there & let HIM pick out the books. If he is into bugs or dinasusrs, or wahtver let him check out books on the subject. That way he will be reading, and not get board reading the same things all the time. Another thing is for you to read to him, and for  yourself. Make your home a reading enviroment. Let him know it's fun to read. 

Betty in Ky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN