Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting ready for fall!

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm getting anxious!  I know there is a lot I'd like to have done before we officially "start" school in the fall.  We're doing a little schooling through the summer (handwriting and history) but nothing like we will do. 

So far I've:

bought and received any curriculum/books needed

put it all into http://www.homeschoolskedtrack.com/ and PER because I am not sure which I want to use.  Both are free!!

Organized my day, wether we stick to that or not is another story, but it's nice to think we will.  haha

and now I am trying to go through each subject and make sure we have everything we need as far as supplies (art supplies, paper, pencils, crayons, note cards for math, etc etc)

I'm also trying to read the book A Charlotte Mason Companion, which seems to be taking me a while. 

What have you done to get ready??  I know a lot of you school year round, or unschool.  I guess I'm just excited :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:23 AM
Replies (11-18):
oahoah
by Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I haven't done much really.  We will begin our first full year of homeschooling around the beginning of September, trying to decide on 1st/2nd grade for our oldest and pre-k or k for our 2nd son; and thinking of what to keep our youngest entertained during school time!  I've been doing a lot of research on curriculum, unschooling, a combination of the 2.  Also trying to get everything together to make our first lapbook and see if that's something that would hold enough interest to do more or if it turns out to be more work than it is worth.  My biggest hurdle is just trying to get organized and declutter and establish order for our homeschool stuff.  I get anxious just thinking of it and sometimes I can't stop thinking of it!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 5:07 AM

I have to be honest.. NOTHING!  LOL  My husband is about to have a big schedule change at work... so I will be making a huge schedule change with my business as well... it will open up more days I can work with the boys in a row instead of having my sister/hubs help... so I'm happy about that but until I get everything settled there.. I'm not even working on the rest yet.  LOL 

cedailey
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I downloaded DD1's math for next year (MEP year 3).  I pulled up the weekly schedules for AO years 1 and 2 and put all of the assignments into my Homeschool SkedTrack account.  I have double checked what books are available at the 2 local library systems.  I have saved half the money for this really cool forein language immersion class I want my kids to attend (2 hours a week).

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I'm excited too. I ordered a unit study for my son and I'm getting all the required books for it. I've been looking online for the best deals. I don't have a lot of money to spend on things. When I get most or all of it, I will start getting the lessons plan together. I don't buy an organizer. I get free forms online & print them, then put them in a 3 ring binder. I cn't 3wait to get eveything together. WE will start back mid july.

betty in ky

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM

For kindergarten and preschool there isn't much you *need* curriculum wise.  But it never hurts to start thinking about it.  I think first you should probably look into the different "methods" of homeschooling.  We will be combining two methods called "Classical" and "Charlotte Mason" - mostly CM. 

A good book to read, regardless of the method you want to use, is called "The Well Trained Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Bauer.  I believe it has info on the early years (0-5 years) as well, so that would help you.  Then I got most of my information and guidance from the website http://www.simplycharlottemason.com/

Also, feel free to ask any questions!  There are lots of free resources online, and you can get gently used materials super cheap as well. 

Quoting 06-07mom:

how does one go about finding curriculum? we are doing kindergarten and preschool? i haven't really done much with the kids education up to this point. Bad mom

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I just looked at the calender and realized I only have two more weeks! I hope they have BTS sales soon!! They usually do early July but they may be a week or two later than I want! Oy!

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM

SO TRUE! I bought all our supplies for last year at the begining of the year...I bought more glue three times throughout the year! Buy lots and lots and lots of glue...buy stock in it! LOL

Quoting misselphaba:

However much glue you *think* is enough...get at least three more packs!  LOL  My kids go through glue like crazy here!

Quoting Boobah:

Oh I can't wait for back to school shopping!  Glue and Crayons here I come!  LOL

And we're starting school oln July 4th so I'm geting all my ducks in a row now-finishing touches and all :)

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!