Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you used Handwriting without Tears?? I need some advice...

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

We started Handwriting without Tears for first grade (the printing book) last week.  I am doing what they say in the teacher's manual, but I feel like I am not making it as fun and interesting as it should be.

My daughter knows how to write pretty decently, but there is always room for improvement, and she does need to work on some letter formation.  But so far we are just getting through it hoping it will be more fun later on. 

I recently got the grade 4 level at a used Curric sale, which is cursive - so that will be fun for her, but I want to get through 1-3 first and make it fun as well.  Any thoughts?

by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I've never used it, but I'm wondering about using curriculum for handwriting. I was just going to have him practice, but it's a struggle for us.

I'm totally sitting in on this conversation. Sorry I don't have anything to contribute though :)

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 22, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I know in the method I am using (Charlotte Mason and Classical) they would prefer you just use copywork - copying a few sentances from great literature.  And that seems awesome, and simple.  But I thought this program would really help *me* more, just to teach the proper way TO write, does that make sense? 

Like, how to explain the letter formation and such. 

I did pick up the HWT cd at the used curric sale and I'm hoping that makes it a little more fun. 

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

We used it, but in the end, he just ended up practicing while he was writing stories and copying down the grocery list when I tell him what to write.  He doesn't have wonderful handwriting, but I figure people can read it, and he's writing, so it's all good. 

I hope you figure it out!  Handwriting practice doesn't really seem like one of those things that *can* really be all that fun, though.  Good luck!

mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I haven't used HWT.  When I have noticed DS not forming letters "correctly" we have taken to the white board, chalk board, sidewalk chalk, shaving foam on a baking tray, play-doh, etc to reinforce the "correct" formation of letters.  This way he doesn't feel like I'm breathing down his neck and it's way more fun than just a pencil and paper. 

ElectraSpy
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM
We used the beginning program with forming letters with the pieces, kids (3 & 5) had fun for about week, then they we're bored to tears, lol. Though we still sing "we always start our letters. . . AT THE TOP!!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM

We use the sandpaper letter cards and letter formation chants. Message me if you want more info. You can get the formation chants from ABCJesusLovesMe.com or just goog them, and you can get the sandpaper letter cards at amazon or make your own- I have a web addy somewhere for it I can get you if your interested, or just goog it. Google queen here :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 5:11 AM

We haven't used it but I've heard really great things about it....:)

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I refuse to use it on Principle. After reading about the company's big push to make it the offical and ONLY font of handwriting to be allowed to be taught in PS in the USA.

Plus, I'll be honest, I'm not fond of the font.

If you're asking about teaching cursive 'early' I'm all for it! We started cursive last year at my 1st grader's request. Though we didn't get far with it. We plan on focusing on cursive more this year for 2nd grade.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22