Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How comfortable are you....

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM
  • 7 Replies

discipling other people's kids?

If they are guests in your home?

If the parents are there too and do nothing?

Out in public?

I'm not talking major things, I'm talking a young child pushes your child, etc. or a guest in your home won't pick up his mess, etc...

Are you comfortable telling a child on a playground it's not nice to push? Will you put your child's friend in time out?

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM

very comfortable, i would even take him over to his mom and tell her whats going on

well i dont do time out  but would tell the parent about whats happening and talk to the child myself

if they are in my home they follow my rules

on the play ground i would tell the parent cuz i surely would want them to tell me!

even if the parents do nothing i would talk to the child

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I will give the parents a chance to discipline first (unless it is an emergency), but I have no problem saying "we don't hit" or "we use nice words".  I have never put anyone else in time out.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM

If there is a child doing something to mine, I absolutely will step in. If it's in my house, unless I know a parent is one who disagrees, I will discipline (just as I would expect someone else to discipline mine) I don't care if I'm standing right there, if you see him do something, feel free to stop him! Half the time he will listen better to someone else anyway.

But, yes, I would discipline someone else's child. However, if I hear a child being a smart mouth, I would probably just tell Wyatt that that's not nice, and I don't expect him to talk that way.

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/
And I probably need more coffee!

MommaChell
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:49 AM

I don't believe it's my place to discipline other's children, especially when the parent is there. If my child is behaving badly, I want to know, so I'll always try to extend that courtesy to other parents. However, I will speak up and even handled situations where the parent is obviously floundering or missing entirely on something important (safety/health stuff/hurtfulness/etc.) or if my child is being mistreated or ill informed; an adult telling my child to "go hit them back" would not be acceptable! I'm picky about who my children interact with and who I invite into my home, so unfortunate situations have been avoided thus far. Once, before I had children of my own, I had a friends 2yr old put a bunch of marbles in his mouth and run around my house. She didn't care, I on the other hand cared a lot and let them both know it. A more recent instance at a park, my son wanted to play with another little boy around the same age as himself. The boy had a large toy car. When my son politely asked if he could play with the car the little boy snatched up his toy and meanly told him NO! My son was surprised since he's not use to being talked to like that. I took my son's hand and said, "That little boys not being nice right now, lets go play somewhere else". I was glad to see that the little boy immediately changed his attitude; he actually put down the toy and came over and took my free hand! He said," he can play with it". It was my turn to be surprised. I was hoping my statement would make an impression on him and it did. The mother was standing by seemingly too wrapped up in her phone conversation to care what stranger was interacting with her son. I later had to inform her that he was peeing on a tree. Funny thing, he kept coming back to me. Made me sad for him.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM
I have NO problem telling other peoples kids off. LOL Being a scout leader for Girl scouts, boy scouts and Cub scouts I tell all the parents that meetings are "my house, my rules" and I'm strict.

I teach my kids to stand up for themselves at the park but I will step in if kids are being mean or hurtful. I wait and hope that parents step in but I don't have a problem stepping in when they don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2011 at 5:02 PM

It depends on the kid and the parents honestly.  I have no problem disciplining my friend's kids, and she disciplines mine if I'm not there or I don't catch it.  I discipline the kids from the school if we see them out and about and they need it...or I will at least say something.  Since I used to teach most of them, they usually listen to me.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Not so great at this!

If they are guests in our home and parents are around I usually don't open my mouth... if parents aren't around then I will.  In public... nope... never do, but have had times where I wish I would have!  The only time I really step in is if a child is being ugly/violent...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)