Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need some advice.

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son attends public school but I like to do homeschooling during the summer and throughout the school year (for science and social studies, since my state doesn't think those are important until 2nd/3rd grade). Anyways, my son also has ADHD and possible learning disabilities. He was placed in the 1st grade rather than promoted because he didn't master all of the kindergarten standards. He has a reading tutor that he goes to twice a week for 45 minutes. He is extremely smart in some areas and struggles in other areas. The main problem that I am having this summer is he wants to rush through everything. I know he can do a good job on his work but he is always wanting to move on to the next thing so he can be done. Any suggestions?

by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hailnbray
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

how are u schooling. is it sit down work cause thats not gonna work, in the summer, with a child w adhd, at that young of a age. u need to be more hands on, out of ur seat, games and play time. at his age i wouldnt do more then an hour split up into 4-5 different lessons.

also schooling during the school year is gonna burn him out. science n history isnt important for most states at that age. going to school all day, coming home to do homework then homeschool on top of it is crazy

JeremysMom
by on Jun. 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Quoting hailnbray:

how are u schooling. is it sit down work cause thats not gonna work, in the summer, with a child w adhd, at that young of a age. u need to be more hands on, out of ur seat, games and play time. at his age i wouldnt do more then an hour split up into 4-5 different lessons.

also schooling during the school year is gonna burn him out. science n history isnt important for most states at that age. going to school all day, coming home to do homework then homeschool on top of it is crazy

For the summer, we do a mixture of things. We do a lot of hands on, but there are somethings that he has to do that are sit down. I try to limit this as much as possible. However, it doesn't matter what we do, he just wants to rush throught it. As far as homeschooling during the school year, we mainly do "field trips", activities, and read books on subjects that he wants to learn about. He is very smart in those two subjects and he wants to learn more about them since he is not getting that at school. We mainly do those things on the weekend.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 2:02 AM

I haven't had to deal with this with my kiddos, but here's a bump for you! Bests~

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Given his age and the fact that he is a boy, the "rushing through" problem is very common. And it is even more common for kids in public school. I have 2 boys, they will be 14 & 11 next month, and they both struggled with racing to get done with things when I first pulled them out of public school. It is hard for a lot of kids to work on a short time frame, rushing through subjects and feeling like they have to keep up with everyone else's pace. That is one of the beauties of homeschooling, they get to work through things at their own speed.

Now, I still have issues with my youngest with attention. He falls into the same spectrum as ADHD, but he has OCD and it def affects his ability to concentrate for long periods of time. We work in smaller blocks of time, like 15-20 min, this will depend on the kid. And he is allowed to take stretching or exercising breaks(jumping jacks, sit-ups, etc,,). And he is also allowed to do most school work almost anywhere, as long as he is being productive. So, that has included the desk, couch, bed, floor, patio table, kitchen table, and trampoline. You get the idea. What I had to do, and what I suggest for you, is to stop trying to re-create what school would look like in a public school class and tailor it for your child and how he/she learns and thrives the best.

There are many ways to judge whether or not a child has understood concepts from a lesson, not just written tests and such. Try oral and written narration with him. Even have him draw a picture based on the book or lesson you just read. Orally ask the questions of a test and record his answers, I did this for  my son for the first 2 years we home schooled.

Alternatives to "traditional" school are what makes kids like your son thrive. Books on tape, computer learning games, learning puzzles, you-tube videos for science lessons, nature study, etc.. And lots of physical activity as well as activities to stimulate all the senses(finger painting, sitting on an exercise ball to read, play-doh, eating foods from a country you are learning about, etc..)

Most of all, just remember that his age has SO much to do with what his issues are. His ADHD and learning problems will never go away, but you can def teach him to deal with them better and be more in control.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Looks like you have already gotten some great advice here... I have 4 boys.  2 with learning disabilities, one of them having been diagnosed with adhd as well.   I think everything you are experiencing is pretty normal for his age.   If he is enjoying learning I would suggest letting him run around and play hard before trying to sit down.  This seems to work well for my boys :)  Good luck hun!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN