Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Summer Workbooks?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 9 Replies

I would like to get a summer "bridge" type work book for my going into first grade daughter.  I have looked at Summer Smarts and BrainQuest.  Does anyone have experience with either of these?  From the reviews I have read, these would be better for us than Summer Bridge.  I would appreciate any feedback on the benefits of each work book.

Thanks,
Michelle

by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 24, 2011 at 6:49 PM

I'm sorry I don't have any personal experience with any of these..... I have looked through the summer bridge workbooks though and they look pretty neat! :)  Good luck and I hope someone else here has some imput for you!!! :) 

MommaChell
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Sorry, we haven't used those. BUMP for you!

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM

The only ones I have used are these I bought at Sam's Club and these I bought at Walmart and ones I bought at dollar tree for $1 each because they have familar characters like cars, spiderman, micky mouse, etc

All are pretty good bang for your buck. I haven't used the brands you mentioned though, sorry.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

Michelle914
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Thank you Everyone,

I appreciate your replies!

Sonita, we have The Big Pre-School Workbook, too!  I hope your finger heals quickly!

-Michelle

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I have never heard of either of these.  How do you feel about building your own?  Using resources to scaffold the skills that you know she needs to work on, just practice things you don't want her to forget, and maybe even preteach some things you know will be coming?

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Those books from Sam's do look pretty cool though.  I was tempted :).

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Thought I'd better add, the only real reason I didn't buy them was cost.  They looked like something we would use, but with 4 at home, it just adds up fast.

Danielle163
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:03 PM

I've got both the Brainquest and the Summer Bridge Activities. The SBA are for like two grades, the BQ are for one (I"m sure you know this) The BQ are more colorful and the subjects are grouped together (Spelling/Vocab,Lang.Arts, Reading,Writing, 6 different groupings for math, Social Studies, Science).  The SBA just have Reading, Writing, Math, & Lang. Arts. Its more of a mish-mash on the pages. They both are good workbooks, just different.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

I did get the SBA with a Christian spin. We usually only use it during church when Wyatt gets antsy and needs something to focus on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)