Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I have a yard sale in Texas?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:19 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Should I have a garage sale the Saturday after July 4th weekend?

Options:

yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

So I started out with reorganizing my office for a new bookshelf, which lead to reorganizing....everything, lol! Before I knew it there were two small growing piles upstairs and downstairs, which then merged and migrated into my garage where it continued to grow. I now have a BIG pile of stuff that I need to get rid of! Most all of it is nice stuff we simply can't use anymore.

I've never had a yard/garage sale and I'm lead to believe that it's a spring and fall thing. Do you think it would be useless to have a sale the weekend after July 4th? Should I wait till fall? I'd like my garage back sooner than later. 

by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyHippie
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:25 AM

I'm in TX and my next door neighbors are having a garage sale today! If you can stand the heat then go for it!

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I say yes. I'm sure you will find more to sell by Fall, so if you don't sell "enough" you can have another sale!

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Kaylon
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I'm in Tx as well and Like FlyHippie said if you can stand the heat, do it.  I usually do my garage sales in Spring and Fall.  However, we were to busy this spring and I do have a pile going on now.  But, I got tote boxes to storage the stuff in until the fall.  I'm a big baby about the heat unless i'm in the pool.  Where in Tx are you located!?  I am Northeastern place 50 miles from tyler, texas.  

Kaylon
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Good point!  I love to garage sale too but not when it's hot unless I'm really, really needing something.  

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

As someone who shops at yardsales, once it's 90 degrees, I'm done yardsaling - it's just too hot. 

I know there are die-hard yardsalers who will be out there no matter what - you just might not get as great a response during the heat of the summer.

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I'm in GA-I see yard sales every weekend here.

Do you have a flea market near by that lets you rent tables for a day? We have one that has tables for $10, way more customers at a flea market than any yard sale I've ever been to. Just an idea.

Also-you could try to list stuff on Craigslist.

If you just want to rehome stuff and aren't interested in making money-you cna put stuff on Freecycle.

If you've got kids clothes to get rid of you can trade them in for credit at thredup.com

Oh and many thrift stores will let you drop off and even give you a donation tickect with a value estimate on it so you can file it on your taxes.

Just some ideas if you're like me and cn't handle the heat :)

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!