Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What holidays do you take off school for?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

We're starting our school on July 4th this year so it got me to thinking-what holidays do you take off school for and which ones do you school on through?

We take of for the kids' birthdays. Thanksgiving and Christmas and that's about it.

Our big holidays will be when the weather is nice enough to hang out and play outside all day  (Hurry up fall!)falling_leaves

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:46 AM

This is a good one. Holidays like Columbus Day, we will probably do a unit study on him.

I'm going to go with this idea, I think. Religous days we will take off. Government holidays we will use to base our unit studies on.

I think the only thing we will actually "take off" is from Math. We are so relaxed about curriculum otherwise, that we learn every day.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

nikki0522
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM

We take Thanksgiving, plus the following day and we take 2-3 days off for Christmas. The only other "holidays" that we take off are the kids birthdays.

oredeb
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:36 AM

we take off a week for thanksgiving so we can cook!

and we take off a day for reformation day oh yes and good friday we dont do any school.

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Last Good Friday we did some school but it was all based on Good Friday. We went throught he day and as the day progressed I'd tell them what Jesus was doing at that time on that day. We'd read a few Bible verses and discuss.

Like at noon we went in the hall bathroom (with no windows) closed the door and turned out the light. Then I quoted MArk 15:33, and we discussed it...

Mark 15:33 - At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour.

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

oredeb
by on Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

that sounds great sonita!!!!

we all go to church that night, the kids do a couple songs, the men do the bible readings, the lights get turned off at the right time(theres a candle burning so the reader can see) and then we all go home.

Quoting SimplySonita:

Last Good Friday we did some school but it was all based on Good Friday. We went throught he day and as the day progressed I'd tell them what Jesus was doing at that time on that day. We'd read a few Bible verses and discuss.

Like at noon we went in the hall bathroom (with no windows) closed the door and turned out the light. Then I quoted MArk 15:33, and we discussed it...

Mark 15:33 - At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour.