Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Has made a decision!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM
  • 8 Replies

I've decided to take a more hands on approach with our schooling, less books, more unschooling style (except for math as they actually like their math books)  I'm going to need huge support on this from you ladies if you don't mind as I am nervous and find it very hard to break that "traiditional" stuff even though I KNOW with all of my heart this is what my family needs!  We have been pretty relaxed but I still feel as though I'm pushing learning on them most of the time.  Any suggestions would be soooOOoo great!!!  I just want to let go and be freeeee!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Melissa6705
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM
I don't have any advice but good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Some kids learn better that way My oldest sure does!

We have tons of manipulatives for everything!

Just have fun and pay attention to what perks their interests. My oldest is VERY into science, so he'll happily do more traditional schoolwork in science, along with lots of hands on unschooling stuff.

oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM

thats great, learning is fun!

you could go to the library and let them chose a few books! and then you could make up some fun unit studies on the books they want to read or they could make some up and teach them to each other.

one thing i do is like you we have our math books(saxon) we do every day in the morning(cuz these kids are more alert in the mornings) and we also have a language arts book(rod and staff) they do every day, and the rest of the subjects is unit studies or just something they want to learn about but it has to have some writing and reading involved for us. the kids love to make their own units up, to teach each other! it sure helps the ones listening to respect and listen!

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Math is about the only structure we use (And it's Saxon math)

Otherwise,we do stuff like writing or whatever, based on a chapter we read together that week. The chapter is from a book of Wyatt's choosing.

I'm still figuring out what we're going to do! But that's the gyst of it

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Loisaida76
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Good for you !  just have fun with the kids. Its hard for me to not want to use a steady curriculum but even when I do, its more for me and not really for the kids. I use the books to keep me up to date and to refresh my memory on many topics. So you could always use books for yourself , get the ideas you needed and then share them with the kids with out showing them the book. 

This summer I had my kids write down 5 things they wanted to learn and 5 things they want to teach me this summer. Oh they had a great time telling me what they want to teach me lol.. Mommy will be learning how to play video games, playing HopScotch and Skate boarding etc.. smh 

This really got the kids interested in learning over the summer bcuz not only will they be learning but I will too.

Just make fun learning as Im sure you do and take lots of pics !

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting Loisaida76:

Good for you !  just have fun with the kids. Its hard for me to not want to use a steady curriculum but even when I do, its more for me and not really for the kids. I use the books to keep me up to date and to refresh my memory on many topics. So you could always use books for yourself , get the ideas you needed and then share them with the kids with out showing them the book. 

This summer I had my kids write down 5 things they wanted to learn and 5 things they want to teach me this summer. Oh they had a great time telling me what they want to teach me lol.. Mommy will be learning how to play video games, playing HopScotch and Skate boarding etc.. smh 

This really got the kids interested in learning over the summer bcuz not only will they be learning but I will too.

Just make fun learning as Im sure you do and take lots of pics !

Good idea... I can only imagine what they will be teaching me!  AHHH

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the advice and support ladies!!!  Much love!!!

wright1212
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I am using Lesson Pathways as a guide for reading, geography, and science. Its mostly handson. If it suggest a worksheet I either use dry erase and mock it or come up with something new.

I asked my DD-6 the same thing. She wants to learn about clouds, so I am planning a fun unit this fall for clouds. But first Ive decided to do a family tree unit. We are going to make a life size family tree. An info card on each person, small map of our state and where everyone lives,and a brief geography lesson on gggggreatgrand parent orgins. (just think 1st grade level). Then for my boys we will work on remember each person's pic and name and practice saying the names. We'll see...

SAHM to DD6, DS1, DS8-ASD/Epilepsy. I teach earlychildhood at community college and wife to an OT. Homeschooling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)