Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need some support on making this work ladies

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

I've been pretty excited about the thought of homeschooling (still am!) and have all my "stuff" together, so to speak.  But this last week or two I have been having a hard time making my schedule stick. (And we aren't even doing much right now!)

I need help with:

making and sticking to a menu/meal plan

getting into a routine of chores so my house isn't a disaster

staying motivated

somehow working my online retail business in the schedule, because it needs some serious TLC at the moment

I don't know, I'm just feeling blah today.  :(  Hopefully things will look better this week.  We just got a dog, and that has thrown me through a huge loop.  I have had no time to do anything in between his need for walks, food, and chewing up all my belongings. 

by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM

a new dog, hahah that can be like adding a new person to the family!! takes a bit of time to get use to!

lists help me!  if im not motivated i go look at my list and try to do one thing and that will usually lead to another thing and another.....................................

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I find it easier (and less stressful) to stick to a routine rather than a schedule. That way you go with a rythm rather than living by the clock and stressing out when life gets in the way and makes your to do list not line up with the hands on the clock.

Next tip-the 6 list- Each night make up a 6 list for the next day. Do those 6 things 1st. List them in order of priority, then do them in order.

Have you checked out FLYLady? I don't follow her system to a T, but, I have learned some VERY valuable things from her. Like I MUST get up, get dressed, put on a little make up, brush my hair anad yes, put on shoes. Though it's usually flip flops in the summer not lace up shoes like she says :D

Also-you;d be amazed what you can get done in 15 minutes. Try doing a block schedule type thing and see how it works for you. You have younger kids right? Young child have a short attention span and usually need to 'switch gears' every 15-20 minutes (you can't hold their attention much l,onger in most cases.

So-do 15-20 minutes of school, 15 minutes of cleaning, 15 minutes of school, 15 minutes of free time each hour... or somthing like that.

I have a morning a night time list I try to stick by for my daily chores (though the last couple of months I haven't stuck with it at ALL!) Some things need to be done DAILY in my house like vacuuming, dishes, sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathroom, laundry, etc I try to work those into my morning and evening routine. 

If I skip somehting I skip something that got done yesterday, not something I skipped yesterday too. That way at least everything gets done every other day. If I didn't vacuum for 2 days Oh MY! my floor would be NASTY! So if I don't get to vacuum today then I make sure tomorrow it gets done and if I have to skip something tomorrow like say cleaning bathrooms, it's ok cause they got cleaned today and will get cleaned tomorrow..

As for the online business, I always worked the bulk of most of my online businesses eaither by getting up a couple of hours before the kids and/or staying up a couple of hours after them. Then also, checking emails, promoting and such in short 15 minute spurts throughout the day.

Use tools to cut down on your time needed to devote to it. Not sure exactly what you do but when I had an Etsy shop I'd check my email int he morning, list/promote throughout the day, the make products at night after the kids were in bed.

There are some great promotion tools availble now too like hoot suite where you can schedule tweets and FB updates throughout the day without having to be online. You can also write blog posts for the week all in one day and schedule them to post each day.

I also photographed my products in bulk. That way I only had to set up my background once and I'd photograph everything, then I'd edit as many as I could at once, then list as needed...saved time...

Things like freezer cooking once a week/month can save time (if you have the freezer space) even if you just have a small freezer, you can make a double batch of something every once in a while and it can save you from having to cook once a week or so...

Friends with a neighbor? Try setting up where you go to their house for dinner every Tuesday and they come to your house for dinner every Thursday or something-that's another night you don't have to cook...

HTH

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)
Forgive any typos-I have a broken finger!!!

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Once Ihave DH's schedule, I sit down and figure out what nights he will be home for dinner, when we have church, etc....and make my meal plan based on that. Then, if I have, say5 meals requiring ground turkey, I cook all 5 pounds at once. If I know we will have a busy day, I will try to plana crock pot meal.

As far as the rest of it...what schedule? I wish we had abetter one, but we pretty much just do things as they come.

I do keep a "Homemaker's Notebook". I got a lot of the printables http://organizedhome.com/household-notebook/printable-pages there. That's one of my projects while I'm post-op, revamping my notebook. (I do plan to try to make a blog post about it. I think I have one of the old notebook)

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Oh! And absolutely remember that adding a new family member,furry or otherwise, will definitely cause havoc!

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 26, 2011 at 9:16 PM

these are awesome tips, and make me feel a little relieved already!  I have never heard of hoot suite!  I will DEFINITELY be checking that out!  I run an online retail business selling mostly baby and toddler items (cloth diapers and accessories, Melissa & Doug toys, etc) and then I do custom embroidery and sewing which is the time consuming part.  Especially since my studio is downstairs, and there is no place for the kids - and definitely not the dog! 

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I totally understand about juggling time/household stuff is so hard!  I've had to learn to let some things go a bit...   I would suggest maybe picking a time to do household chores (cleaning, etc) when the kids are sleeping... maybe early morning or evening when they are in bed.  I find that I can get a lot more done without interuptions if I stick to that.. .. (its a work in progress for me too STILL)  

You will have bla days, don't stress!  We all do

I hope some of the other ladies have meal advice as its always last minute in this house because I hate cooking LOL 

I also suggest picking a time withouth interuptions for the online business.  I have gotten into the routine of getting up a couple hours before everyone else (5am) to get things done for me.  lol

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

wright1212
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 1:58 PM

1. SAY NO- this has helped me this month in starting my schedule too (also new). I have backed out of several things to focus on home matters

2. My menu is I buy meat on clearance put in freezer then plan the next weeks meals around what I have. I have a spiral notepad (about 8in tall by 4 in wide) that I use. I write the days down the left column and what I need on the right, I write in order of the layout of the store to maximize use of time in store).

3. I clean kitchen while kids eat (i stand and eat while cleaning) oh and its part of the dining so I can watch them too. Then I gather clothes and throw them down stairs and down we go. I start laundry, computer time for DD and BYCR for boys while I clean down there for about 30 min. Then school. Every afternoon I pick up living room and hall and make a pile of things that go elsewhere and DD's chore is to put them where they go.

4. For computer time (your business)...well for me I made a deal with my DH. I get baby to sleep then I have until 9:30pm to do whatever I want. So the sooner baby goes down the more time I get..sometimes an hour every night.

blessdmommy
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Things I have learned the past 13+ years of homeschooling: some stuff just won't get done all the time, and that's ok :) I have several children, so my house will look like that...but it's not at the point where the health department will shut us down. Some days I feel like I have accomplished a lot if they are all fed and still alive (lol...jk!!). Also, how old are your children? They need to be part of the chores...part of home schooling is teaching them the life skills they will need...keeping their house clean and helping mom is part of that. Even my 3 year old can help...empty wastebaskets, put away silverware from dishwasher, clean his toys, etc. I agree w/ going w/ a routine instead of a schedule. I have children w/ high functioning autism and they are expected to help - it is good for them, and something they need to do as a family member...keep a flow going, but don't be too hard on yourself if something comes up and you need to change your plans...that can and will happen. This is a good lesson for our children as well. Off to take one to camp now...have a great day!!

Annehart
by on Jun. 29, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Quoting SimplySonita:

I find it easier (and less stressful) to stick to a routine rather than a schedule. That way you go with a rythm rather than living by the clock and stressing out when life gets in the way and makes your to do list not line up with the hands on the clock.

Next tip-the 6 list- Each night make up a 6 list for the next day. Do those 6 things 1st. List them in order of priority, then do them in order.

Have you checked out FLYLady? I don't follow her system to a T, but, I have learned some VERY valuable things from her. Like I MUST get up, get dressed, put on a little make up, brush my hair anad yes, put on shoes. Though it's usually flip flops in the summer not lace up shoes like she says :D

Also-you;d be amazed what you can get done in 15 minutes. Try doing a block schedule type thing and see how it works for you. You have younger kids right? Young child have a short attention span and usually need to 'switch gears' every 15-20 minutes (you can't hold their attention much l,onger in most cases.

So-do 15-20 minutes of school, 15 minutes of cleaning, 15 minutes of school, 15 minutes of free time each hour... or somthing like that.

I have a morning a night time list I try to stick by for my daily chores (though the last couple of months I haven't stuck with it at ALL!) Some things need to be done DAILY in my house like vacuuming, dishes, sweeping, mopping, cleaning bathroom, laundry, etc I try to work those into my morning and evening routine. 

If I skip somehting I skip something that got done yesterday, not something I skipped yesterday too. That way at least everything gets done every other day. If I didn't vacuum for 2 days Oh MY! my floor would be NASTY! So if I don't get to vacuum today then I make sure tomorrow it gets done and if I have to skip something tomorrow like say cleaning bathrooms, it's ok cause they got cleaned today and will get cleaned tomorrow..

HTH,

You give me hope! It is great to see younger moms this organized and motivated to be excellent keepers at home! Keep that encouragement coming!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)