Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fitting in getting fit

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

I was wondering what type(s) of exercise you ladies do and how you go about fitting it in to your schedul. I know some people prefer aerobics, but only in a group, so they take a class, some people prefer walking treadmill style or yoga in the comfort of their homes, etc. With the busy life we homeschool moms have I believe it can be a real challenge finding time to fit even a 15-20 minute exercise segment in. I was hoping I might learn something from your experiences and possibly get some new ideas to spice up my routine!

I power walk on the treadmill and do some strength training a few times a week for about a half hour total. I haven't been consistent with it the last few weeks. I use to run and hope to get back to that point eventually. I also count all the daily physical exercise I get interacting with my Littles :) Any suggestions on getting fit?

by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:09 AM
My kids and I all do karate. The kids go two days a week which means I'm there 4 days. I work out 4 days a week (2 days in the adult class and 2 on my own).

We also go to the Y 2-3 days a week. The kids have classes and their own gym or they can swim while I work out.

Also, I have a group of girlfriends that gets together anywhere from once to five days a week to walk together. It varys depening on everyones schedules. We try to go around 8amsince we live in the desert and get home before it is sccorching out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Re: the karate schedule...DS1 goes Tue & Thurs, DD & DS2 go Wed/ Fri ....my class is TUES, wed or Thurs and I can go to any two per week. I wo rk out on my own the other days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I keep saying I'm going to walk everyday but then things get so crazy and it just doesn't happen.  I'm not a big one for classes, when I had a gym membership I could be found on the treadmill most of the time LOL 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2011 at 12:20 AM

i am still figuring it all out. my life has been so crazy last last few months i can't seem to get  around to doing much of anything.

frstldyhmsch
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:20 AM

My kids and I play xbox kinect together and 20 min of that is a great workout for the whole family!

jeng1980
by Member on Jun. 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I do Wii Fit first thing in the morning most of the time.  I haven't in the past few months because I just got out of my normal routine.  I will start back up when the time is right.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM
This.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

i am still figuring it all out. my life has been so crazy last last few months i can't seem to get  around to doing much of anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I have WiiFit and I luuuurve it. I was getting up an hour early to have time to do it before I did devotionals, but I've been slacking. I'm promising myself to make more time for it once I stay home (but we all know how that goes)

I really want to get Zumba for Wii.

We did have a membership to the gym in town (DH gets a HUGE discount through his employer) but they no longer offer childcare, so we are cancelling the membership

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Well, we have P.E. class.  We have been doing the Gold's Gym Workout for Wii for the last couple of months.  It has Latin Dance and Cardio Kick Boxing.  We have sooo much fun.  We still haven't learned all those dance "moves" (my 42 year-old body is just not capable of them), but we do sweat (and laugh) and are getting some muscle tone.  We also have contests with Wii Fit 2.  We each hold a record in different categories and try to beat each other's records.  Friendly competition and a workout at the same time!  During the fall and early spring (before mosquitoes and horseflys) we would also go walking or bike-riding at the state park near my house.  Those could often count as P.E. and Science as we identified different animal tracks, animals, trees, etc.  Who says exercising can't be fun?  Not so!!  It's an easy fit with the homeschool lifestyle if you include it as so.  (Of course, my children are 9 and 12!)  I think I'm a bit older than most moms in this group--LOL!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

LindaClement
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 1:43 PM

We used to walk to get places (we have a sidewalk neighbourhood, which we bought in on purpose). We have a few parks near our home, so we'd walk over and kick around a soccer ball, toss a frisbee or play catch. 

Since my kids needed fresh air and exercise, too, we all went. That was it was easier to fit them in. When they were playing on playground equipment, I'd do squats and lunges, or walk around, or sit ups or whatever instead of just sitting there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN