Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ballet for Boys

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

I was wondering if any of you have boys in ballet or know of any that are. I've been considering it, put don't know much about formal ballet training. I thought some of you would have some helpful insight or recommend some resources. What do you think about boys in ballet? My 3yo son and 4yro daughter would be attending together.

by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:58 AM
At the studio I attended, in order to make your way into the advanced classes for Jazz or Hip Hop you had to take ballet, boy or girl.

Since I was training in strictly ballet I did share many classes with one guy in particular. It is not a natural boy sport, but some really enjoy it! I say do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM

No info here but I've learned something new today... THanks ballerina.2006... :)  

MommaChell... I think them going together would be awesome!

oredeb
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM
my homeschooled nephew took it when he was younger, also took singing and piano now hes a 30 yr old marine!
wright1212
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I dont know of any dance school that would reject a boy. Most boys are welcomed and encouraged filling a gapping hole of needing a boy partner for dance. My son is 1.5 but I will enroll him as soon as he is 3 in tumbling and ballet. He LOVES dance he copies everything my DD and I do. Being homeschool he should not have to worry about teasing. AND as long as the school is respectful to giving him manly roles in the dance. (a bow not a curtsy ect.)

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Funny you should ask.  I'm calling tomorrow to ask one of the dance school in my hometown about their July Pre-Combo dance class for my 3 year old son.  The combo is beginning ballet and tap.  He's been in gymnastics for 1.5 years and he LOVES it.  But thinking about switching to dance since he loves danceing so much. 

The school I'm looking at has a MALE ballet teacher as well.  Seems to me, dance is dance.

timon95
by on Jun. 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Yes, there are boys that take ballet at my daughter dance school. like a previous said, you need to take ballet if you also want to take jazz or tap. ballet is not a requirement for hip hop. one of the boys at her studio received a scholarship last year.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Here is a bump for you as I don't know. 

cedailey
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

My three year old son will join his sisters as a dance student in August.  He's been trying to get into the dance studio since he could crawl, so I never considered not enrolling him.  It's a ballet/tap/ tumbling combination class.

Also at last spring's recital there were 3 teenage boys performing- jazz, tap, and hip-hop

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM

My son has a friend that is a ballet dancer. Being a 13 year old in TX, it isn't the norm...but he rocks it! He loves it, he's GOOD at it, which is a confidence boost for him, so what's bad in that? All good. Whatever they like and feel good about doing and feel successful...do it.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Thanks so much for all the replies and encouragement ALL! I think I'm more concerned about my FIL's family reaction to him being in ballet than anything. I'll def be praying about it.

I've been looking at the Little Gym. The dance class they offer is both ballet and gymnastics. I watched a little video for it today and it was full of frilly little girls and not one boy :) I know they'd both enjoy it, but as one of you mentioned, I would want him treated similarly to the girls, but not the same; bowing as apposed to curtsy, etc. I think it's great that they do the dance and the gymnastics. They offer a free class, so as soon as we get our other vehicle back in use I plan on taking them and seeing how it goes. Thanks again Ladies, you're the ROCKIN!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)