Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

just wondering...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM
  • 19 Replies

when did you start homeschooling officially. when did you file with your state. what age was your child?

by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessdmommy
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I started "officially" with kindergarten with my first (who graduated this year - yay!!!) and then the others, as they came, did "preschool" when she (and older ones did) - I now have 6 :) Although we don't do too formal of a preschool/PK - only what they are interested in - at that age, their play is work and you can teach them just by having them with you (there are numbers and letters everywhere and most enjoy being read to) - don't push them too early to be formally schooling (that time will come quickly enough!). Each state has different filing requirements - you can go to HSLDA's website to find out the requirement for yours. And some states want their nose in their more than others, so find out exactly what you need to send them and send just that. In our state, compulsory age is 5 (unless there is a physical, mental, developmental reason why you need to wait), and there are various options under which we can school...so it is best to check it out for your state specifically (and HSLDA is a great resource!). You can also get information/support from your state home school association. Hope all goes well!!

MommaChell
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:47 AM

No filing required here and I guess I'd have to say we officially started January of this year. My Daughter is 4yrs, my two sons are 3yrs and 1yr. 

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 6:20 AM

We started officially (this time around) August of 2008.  We filed with the county then.  My school age boys were 8 and 6.  My other two were 4 and newborn.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Wyatt is 6, and this will be our first year. Our official start date is Aug 12. We will loosely follow the school schedule. We will take off for more religous holidays, and fewer Gov't holidays.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:35 AM

we have been doing it for over 5 years! We don't have to file with the state.

oredeb
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM

weve never filed with the state or anyone else but i started calling it homeschooling when my oldest dd was 4 and she was ready to learn phonics!

i think the legal age you've got to file and start here is 6

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM

We pulled Autumn out of school and filed with the school board (or, rather, the accountability association we signed on with filed for us) in April. Autumn is 10 in a month. This will be our first full year home schooling, though we have been home schooling since April.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Danielle163
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I pulled DD out of PS 2/3 of the way through first grade. She was 7. We are getting ready to start our second full year of homeschooling.

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Our journey started when we did not send my youngest back to public school for first grade. Instead, he went to a private classical school. He attended school 2 1/2 days a week and we homeschooled the other 2 days(that was awesome). My oldest remaind in public and was thriving there. Then my oldest asked to be a part of the school his younger brother was attending because of the awesome environment and amazing curriculum. So, they both attended there for 2 semesters of 2nd & 5th grade until we had to move.  I continued schooling them at home for the remainder of the year using th ecurriculum from the private school in Tx and did not report anything to our new state of WV. Then we enrolled both of them in public school the following year for 6th & 3rd grade. We stuck it out until Christmas break and then withdrew them. They will be entering 9th & 6th grade here at home in 3 weeks! WOW, when I write it all out like that I am amazed at the journey. I am thrilled to have them home with me, and since we are back in Tx we do not have to report to the state : )

hailnbray
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM

we dont have to file till age 8 which is this coming year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN