Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

when did you start homeschooling officially. when did you file with your state. what age was your child?

by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Replies (11-19):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Sitting here thinking about it, I almost wish we had stayed in PA. The laws here in SC aren't horrible, but PA was much better for hsing

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM

We don't have to file here. My oldest is 2.5 years and we already do tot school together 3 days a week. 

LindaClement
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM

We registered as homeschoolers when our oldest was 5.

Legally, we don't 'have to' until they're 6, but that was back in the olden days when I thought being a part of the system would be advantageous to us --which it isn't. Their resources were older, poorly written, error-ridden and dull, even compared to what we had in the house.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

We started officially (this time around) August of 2008.  We filed with the county then.  My school age boys were 8 and 6.  My other two were 4 and newborn.

I should have added we are no longer with the county... we are through an Umbrella school the last 2yrs :) 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

timon95
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:21 PM

I started teaching my kids at preschool age. So, I have been teaching them for 4yrs now. i did not have to file ds until this school year (2010/2011), when he was first grade. i teach both of my kids at the same grade level. so we are just finishing up 1st grade. we took a few wks off and will now school for the summer. ds is 7 1/2 and dd is about to turn 6. i will file to teach her in september.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 1, 2011 at 12:08 AM
We started in prek, she went to public k, that was a huge mistake and we will be homeschooling first grade in the fall. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM

dd is 4yrs old. we have been playing around with "school" since she was about 2. the compulsory age in alabama is 6 or 7 (not sure if it changed yet or not)  we have to file with the school board saying we are going to HS & have a cover school. not sure when to start all that officialness though.

when would you ladies file & sigh up with a cover?

Melyssa-R
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM

We started at Kindergarten when she was on the cusp of her 5th birthday but I didn't have to file until my daughter turned 7 which for her wasn't until the start of 2nd grade.  She is 11 now and soon starting 7th grade.

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM

My oldest went to 2 years of PS so we had to file for him as soon as we pulled him (for 1st grade) but my youngest we won't file until we legally have to per compulsory attendance laws, so for 1st grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN