Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

question

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

my son has aspergers.

what curiculum should i use. i do want a christian based one. he is also at different levels, so i need to purchase each subject separate.

also can i purchase at a store or only on line.

any help would be great',' first yr. at this.confused

by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Each kid is so different. Does he learn more when using his hands or doing projects? Does he read well alone or rather you read to him?

Once you find out how he learns finding your curriculums will be much easier.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM
I love Math u See for the hands on work and making math tactile. It also has the teacher on DVD for visual learners.

I've also had several recommend All About Spelling or Spelling Power for kids with learning disabilities. Not that aspergers is necessarily a disability but both of the above incorporate different methods of learning and a variety of activities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 7:18 AM

My only advice is on Math.  My 9yr old is on the Autism spectrum and we have struggled and struggled to find something that works and aside from Math I can't say we've been very successful.  We use Math-U-See... great hands on approach... he pretty much teaches himself, he totally gets it!  :)  I think each child's learning styles are unique and with a disability sometimes it makes understanding what works for them more challenging but just take it slow and maybe start with some workbooks from books a million or somewhere like that.  Take him with you... let him look through them.  Is he eager to learn?

luvthesoap
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM

How old is he?

Betty in <Ky

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Without knowing his age or learning style, I would suggest Queens materials, along with Life of Fred or Math u See for math. Queens has packages already put together according to learning level instead of by grade. They are very Charlotte Mason in style, so the lessons would be shorter and easier for your son to understand.

Another suggestin on would be looking at some unti studies like Five in a Row or Tapestry of Grace, and then adding in math and science.

lorretta4
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 9:26 PM

I am sorry, i should have gave you more info.   he is 12.  he only knows addition and subtraction at this time. he can read , but has no comprehension.   he can only print, and it is hard to read.  he is hands on.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Math U See is an excellent for Math.  

Also for math (very inexpensive / hands on) is Nanapie) (Note: one does not have to know music to play the game

For Reading Comprehension:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 3, 2011 at 8:36 AM
I have heard the iPad has been a tremendous help to those with autism and auspergers. I know you can google "iPad and autism" and lots of articles will help.
I personally have no experience, but thought I'd mention that my friend has ha great success with the iPad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthesoap
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I recommend Five in a Row  with Lapbooks to go along with thr books. We did this when my son was younger ( he also has LD's) and it was the BEST homeschooling time we ever had. ( HSing for almost 12 years now) IT was fun & he learned a lot.

Betty in Ky

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I have heard the iPad has been a tremendous help to those with autism and auspergers. I know you can google "iPad and autism" and lots of articles will help.
I personally have no experience, but thought I'd mention that my friend has ha great success with the iPad.

Thanks for this info, going to check it out!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN