Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you keep your kids papers?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm cleaning out things to get ready for the new school year and I'm just wondering how long do you keep your children's workbooks, pages, etc?  I've got some things going back to a few years ago and I'm running out of room.... Am I terrible to start tossing? 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misselphaba
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I keep a math paper and a writing sample from the first part of the year for both kids.  And then one from the end of the year.

I only keep drawings and art projects that really mean something to me or the kids.  I keep stories, comic books, poems, etc forever.  I figure I'll bind them all into a book (or books) for their kids. 

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM

For last year (when he was in private school) I kept things that showed improvement. I will probably do the same. I think I will keep that stuff in a small notebook. The other stuff, things like comics, projects, etc, I will make a scrapbook from for each year

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

cedailey
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM

No, at the end of each year it goes in the recycling bin (I will add, I don't have to turn anything in to the state as evidence).  Unless it has some special significance to them.  I don't keep worksheets, handwriting pages, spelling lists.

LaughterHugs
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM

i take digi pix and have a file folder where i store DD1s work. then i toss the hardcopy pages but stil have a record and can use that to make an 'achievement book' later in life if i choose

oredeb
by on Jul. 3, 2011 at 8:58 PM

your not terrible to toss!

the ones i kept are picturres they've drawn, some essays, some things that were special and i put them all in a scrap book and gave them to each child as they left home!

luvthesoap
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I keep a few papers per year. I guess it's about 15-20 samples of work a year. I have been homeschooling for 12 years. If I kept a bunch of work samples, I would have nowhere to keep them!

Betty

LindaClement
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM

No... We have some select items (a drawing I liked, or they particularly liked, generally) but mostly have got rid of almost all of it.

They don't want it. I don't remember most of it happening.

And, no... you're not horrible, you're an example of how not to take up hoarding.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I keep my children's work, art, etc. for a year. At the end of the year I go through it all and seperate it in two stacks; one to keep and one to give to loved ones. My goal is to end up with a few precious pieces from each of them from each year of their learning. I have to be selective, since I'd love to keep it all. I will eventually get around to the project I have in mind to create keepsakes of their work, for now I keep it all in a filing box.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM

I have it all still, and not sure how long to keep it. When I feel it's been long enough to keep it (a couple years maybe) I'll go through and pick and choose what to keep and what not to keep.

Arianna
by on Jul. 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM

hehe, I only have one homeschooler, and I have a sick habit of being a pack rat.  yes...I do keep my son's papers.

I get those clear bins with lids, and I label them for the grade/year that he is in...and I fill it up and stick it in the attic at the end of the year. 

Then, I go and buy another clear plastic bin.  :Laughs:

However...I don't think it is wrong to get rid of the majority of work. 

Peace,

Arianna

Mama, Wife, Homeschooler, Director of Religious Education, and Pagan UU Panentheist.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)