Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Family shopping?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'd have to say that I don't much care for shopping (clothes, food, etc.) as a family, unless it's for pleasure; sometimes I like to go shopping just to get out of the house and can have fun with the kids doing it. If I'm really wanting to get some shopping done, I prefer to go it alone. My husband likes to go together, just him and me, which I can enjoy, but if i'm wanting to shop I find he slows me down. There's SO much organizing and planning I have to do in order to take the whole crew.

How do you organize in order to go shopping?

by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 5, 2011 at 6:57 PM
I prefer to shop without kids but normally have them with me.
The only planning I do is just making sure I have cups, and possibly snacks depending on the time. I do make sure I have the cart cover or stroller. I refuse to use a cart without a cover. I'm a total germaphobe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I prefer to shop alone as well though it rarely happens!  LOL 

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM

i always had to shop with my kids so i would make my list, I used 2 baskets, i would put all except the oldest in a basket(i would push) and let my oldest push the empty basket when she was old enough to. thats at the grocery store, only kind of shopping i use to do.

my dh hates to go any kind of shopping! and if he does go its in there and out real fast!!hahahaha and i make a list before going but he decides he wants other stuff also!!! hahahaha that blows the list!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I build my lists ahead of time, check the ads, draft out our schedule, and load up all the snacks and things we will need for our hundred mile trip and busy day.  

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM

My 20yo daughter still lives with us, and she is great to go shopping with! My ds and dh really hate grocery shopping so they don't feel left out of the fun.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM

When the kids were younger we saw very little of my husband due to his work schedule. So, I always did the shopping and errands before he got home so we could all enjoy family time at the end of the day. Since I have always taken the kids with me for any kind of shopping we don't know any different, LOL! And since they are older now it is easy to take them with me and have the extra help.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Quoting TigerofMu:

I build my lists ahead of time, check the ads, draft out our schedule, and load up all the snacks and things we will need for our hundred mile trip and busy day.  

My routine in a nut shell, unless the Hub is going it alone. He enjoys shopping if he's in the mood. He and I have worked out and practiced a system that makes it really easy for him to shop and us to communicate about it. It took a lot of work on my part and a lot of willingness on his part, lol, but it helps SO much.

cedailey
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I don't have the option of going alone, so...always go at a time of day that the kids are unlikely to be cranky (midafternoon is out of the question), make sure they know it is not pleasure shopping (unless it is, which is usually when someone has birthday money) so we aren't looking up and down every aisle.  Have a list and a plan of attack.  Be prepared to leave on the spur of the moment if necessary.

-Feather-
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 5:54 AM

I enjoy shopping with my kids. They're a lot of fun. They're just so easily fascinated by everything, and they love the change of scenery.

wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:44 AM

I don't mind if I have my kids with me but alot of the times I end up shopping alone cause hubby calls it my me time. as in is the only time I don't have all 4 yelling mommy and having jealousy wars over who gets my attention. Now only if I could figure out the whole christmas shopping thing. I guess will have to shop online cause since family has so much going on during that time me and DH usually go together but we also end up with all 4 with us. lmao wasn't so bad when they were babies but now they know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN