Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lacing card flop, any advice?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't seem to get my pre-ks interested in their lacing cards. At first my DD, 4yro, was excited and the first two times we did them she didn't want to stop. My DS, 3yro, hasn't cared much from the beginning, and even less now. I don't get them out often, perhaps once a week or every other week. About the 3rd or 4th time doing them my kids lost interest quickly. Now they find alternative things to do with the strings and cards to my dismay, unless I'm right on top of them. I know it's not the most exciting thing, lacing, but I've read many have had a lot of success with them. So am I expecting to much out of the activity or am I using them in the wrong setting- I've been trying to utilize it as a quiet time activity. I thought I'd give it time and perhaps my kids would warm up to them. I don't intend on giving up/getting rid of them, especially with my DS#2, 1yro, coming up in school readiness. If I'm missing something I'd like a clue. Thanks :) 

by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Replies (11-18):
oredeb
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM

wow! i wonder if you have a future seamstress there kd!! she might enjoy sewing!

Quoting KDBeckham:

Haha...my middle DD4 loves lacing cards. So much so to the point of me having to laminate, cut out, hole punch the holes, so she wouldn't keep tearing them up. She feels so accomplished when she completes one and runs to show me what she did. If she skips a hole or goes to the wrong hole she gets so upset and asks for help to fix it.

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Possibly...the minute she caught on and knew what they were for she just went with it. I decided to make them more durable so she could do them as often as she wanted. She is just learning to write so its important to let her use her fingers and get that hand/eye coordination down.

Quoting oredeb:

wow! i wonder if you have a future seamstress there kd!! she might enjoy sewing!

Quoting KDBeckham:

Haha...my middle DD4 loves lacing cards. So much so to the point of me having to laminate, cut out, hole punch the holes, so she wouldn't keep tearing them up. She feels so accomplished when she completes one and runs to show me what she did. If she skips a hole or goes to the wrong hole she gets so upset and asks for help to fix it.

Simply Southern Homeschool ~ "Where Learning Begins"

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Quoting MedicMommy:

We never did lacing cards. But are you using shapes they like? Is there some reward when they are done, like with a puzzle? Do they get to choose the colors yarn they use?

I do have several different lacing card options, as well as beads and baubbles. We do more than just lace with them, so there's no waste. I hadn't thought of rewards, so no- I'll have to think on that approach (thanks). They do get to choose their lacing option and their string.  

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Quoting SimplySonita:

Well here's my 2 cents, since you asked LOL

What are your kids going to miss out on in life if they never do lacing cards? Is it going to effect their job choices? Their morals? Will they end up on drugs, homeless, in jail, etc because they didn't ever do lacing cards?

Let them use their imgaination to use the cards and string how they wish. There are many other things they can do do work on the same skills.

Why do you feel the need to push them to do them? (I don't mean that in a bad way-I mean when I butt heads with my own kids I ask myself that question)

As parents, we have to pick our battles with our kids. As homeschooling mothers, I think it spills over into education. You have to decide what is important enough to push and what we can try and let go and move on if it dosen't work-That's the great thing about homeschooling!

No pushing here, just want to explore any approaches other than what I've been trying. As always, I value your thoughts Sonita :) I agree with much of what you've stated.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Since you asked, I hate lacing cards. I never saw the point. Is it a dexterity thing? I think it's good that your children turned them into an activity that they can enjoy. They used their imagination, that's a good thing.

It an activity that helps develop fine motor skills for dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and finger & hand muscle strength.

I like your perspective and encourage them to be imaginative. Thanks :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

We got them & used them a few times..

Ive had better luck with beading! Use the laces from the card (or old shoe, or buy new pretty ones from the store) and then go to your Hobby Lobby/Michaels/WalMart & get a big value pack of beads.. These are GREAT because it can help with not only dexterity but you can have them organize the beads by shape/size/color, they can create patterns, and count & learn colors! :)

Good suggestions!

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting KDBeckham:

Lol, sounds like a seamstress to me! ;)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:24 PM

FYI- I got the lacing baubles out today after having them put up for a good length of time and the kids laced and played with them happily until I had tell them to clean up! They actually laced, sorted, stacked, and played pretend (my daughter even used them as money, lol). It was refreshing :)

Thanks for all your advice and related stories, it's good to have support, even if it's something as little as lacing activities. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN