Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Financially savvy & working smarter not harder; how do you do it?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM
  • 17 Replies

We all want to offer our children the best educations we possibly can, but unfortunately we're restricted by budget and time. What have you learned in your journey thus far that has allowed you more time and money to put towards homeschooling? Lets pass these pearls of wisdom around and increase their value!

by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:04 AM

HA! Having surgery and then a broken leg within the same week, combined with not having insurance and going from 2 incomes to one...I am not qualified to answer this. I will, however, read everyone else's!

In all honesty, we follow Dave Ramsey. Until last week, we had no debt

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:20 AM
I'm with pp, we had no debt until a month or two ago. We got slammed with an ER bill for my 6 year old, a dr bill for the ER, my chiropractic bills are rolling in for all of us, I had to get a crown that cost me $600 from the dentist, we need new tires, brakes and an oil change, and now a new battery for my jeep. And we desperately need a fence. Fortunately we had a cushion and Im trying to make it all work, but it sucks to take away so much of our savings.
As far as time, having a couple pieces of pre made curriculum has saved time. Not everything. Just handwriting, spelling, math and history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countjb
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:39 AM

I'm with both of you. We have an ER bill, my husband was just laid off, we have no insurance, I take many medications, my daughter is still under treatment for a fractured finger so I'll have another x-ray to pay for next week, our two pets need blood work performed this month, and we're waiting to see what it will cost to COBRA health benefits. We don't eat out, we drive older vehicles, we don't have cable television, I shop economically for the essentials only, and I buy used books whenever possible. I also buy books that will serve us for more than one year. I visit freebie websites to get office supplies that we can use for school too.

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I'm writing a monthly series for the homeschool village starting in August, I don't want to give away my whole first post but I will say, you can get a GREAT educaiton for next to nothing.

There are so many free resources out there witht he internet at our fingertips!

For spending money on homeschooling, I prioritize! What is most important, spend money on, wether it's your child's favorite subject or least favorite,a specific curriulum that is a must have for your child, etc, other than that, it's not hard to put together a curriculum on your own for free or very, very frugal!

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM
I cook almost everything from scratch. It saves a lot of money. I also use freecycle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Find a way to work for yourself- Having my own business cleaning houses has been of a huge help to our family.  I have been able to create my own schedule to allow more time for the kids/homeschooling.  When moms say they need to help their families financially and have time to be with the kids the first thing I always suggest is cleaning houses.  Its a cheap start up cost and you can work your schedule the way you need to.

As far as saving money...akk... I'm not the best at it..I talk of saving all the time but we've been doing a lot of spending just enjoying life these days... lol   

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM

one thing is to ask at church, for things like music lessons, my kids play several instruments thanks to the church, people wanted to teach them and it didnt cost us anything. they were happy to pass along what they knew

there is so much on line for homeschooling, you dont need to go out and buy books or curr., its right on the internet,  and in the library!

making homeschool our life not just something we do from 9-12. they are always learning

barter with friends for books, or help, maybe someone can teach math while you can teach there kids spanish, etc

make sure you keep your things upgraded, i mean keep the oil changed in the pickup, check the lawn mower to make sure its in good repair, keep everything maintained, it saves lots of money!

buy everything with cash or barter for it

grow a garden, preserve your own food, compost, save seed

save on gas and shop once a month at the store and do all your errands then.

save money at the store, make most of your food from scratch-saves lots of money

buy in bulk

help a neighbor

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM
Oredeb. I heart you. Just so you know. :)
If I just had more time in the day...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I'm raising 3 kids alone on $1100 a month, so I'm getting pretty good at this.

Ask for school things for gifting holidays (art supplies, museum membership, language classses).

Paperbackswap, homeschoolclassifieds.com, freecycle, and if there's a little money for something special, Homeschool Buyers Co-op.

My homeschool group does a Clothing and Household Goods Swap every six months-I haven't bought clothes (except for 1 set of rash guard swim shirts) in 4 years, and I rarely buy shoes either.

Cook from scratch, coupon as best you can (I got a year's supply of laundry detergent for $6 last year), we only air condition at night and right now just one room.  I gave my queen size to the kids, and sleep on a cot, so we only run the one most efficient window unit. (we live in Tx so this is a sacrifice) 

Arrange to do as much as possible each time you must go out.  For example, last year my dd had a 1 1/2 hour dance class on Tues (gift from Gram) dd2, ds, and I did grocery shopping during that time, because the grocery store is 2 blocks from the dance studio.  The park where we do park day is only a quarter mile from downtown, so we hit the library and the post office on our way home.

I also got the free cards from Vista Print and hand them out to everyone: Elizabeth's Errands, Chores, Odds, and Ends. Personal services-sitting (house pet child), lawn, laundry, tutoring, if I can do it with my kids around, I'll do it for cash or barter.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:40 PM
That is awesome. I need to get more focused and start working to save.

One thing I do is I run an online retail business and also sew and do custom embroidery for extra money.

Quoting cedailey:

I'm raising 3 kids alone on $1100 a month, so I'm getting pretty good at this.

Ask for school things for gifting holidays (art supplies, museum membership, language classses).

Paperbackswap, homeschoolclassifieds.com, freecycle, and if there's a little money for something special, Homeschool Buyers Co-op.

My homeschool group does a Clothing and Household Goods Swap every six months-I haven't bought clothes (except for 1 set of rash guard swim shirts) in 4 years, and I rarely buy shoes either.

Cook from scratch, coupon as best you can (I got a year's supply of laundry detergent for $6 last year), we only air condition at night and right now just one room.  I gave my queen size to the kids, and sleep on a cot, so we only run the one most efficient window unit. (we live in Tx so this is a sacrifice) 

Arrange to do as much as possible each time you must go out.  For example, last year my dd had a 1 1/2 hour dance class on Tues (gift from Gram) dd2, ds, and I did grocery shopping during that time, because the grocery store is 2 blocks from the dance studio.  The park where we do park day is only a quarter mile from downtown, so we hit the library and the post office on our way home.

I also got the free cards from Vista Print and hand them out to everyone: Elizabeth's Errands, Chores, Odds, and Ends. Personal services-sitting (house pet child), lawn, laundry, tutoring, if I can do it with my kids around, I'll do it for cash or barter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)