Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Financially savvy & working smarter not harder; how do you do it?

Posted by   + Show Post

We all want to offer our children the best educations we possibly can, but unfortunately we're restricted by budget and time. What have you learned in your journey thus far that has allowed you more time and money to put towards homeschooling? Lets pass these pearls of wisdom around and increase their value!

by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Replies (11-17):
MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Quoting MedicMommy:

HA! Having surgery and then a broken leg within the same week, combined with not having insurance and going from 2 incomes to one...I am not qualified to answer this. I will, however, read everyone else's!

In all honesty, we follow Dave Ramsey. Until last week, we had no debt

I'll have to look into him. Hope you heal-up quickly! 

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM

His stuff is pretty decent. THere are some DR groups on CM. If you can't find his book at the library, I would check into the groups. You can get a lot of the info there without having to pay :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Quoting MedicMommy:

His stuff is pretty decent. THere are some DR groups on CM. If you can't find his book at the library, I would check into the groups. You can get a lot of the info there without having to pay :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM

LADIES OMGOODNESS, you're input is seriously great! I got really excited reading your suggestions and can't wait to start putting what I can into action. Some of it I'm basically doing already, but your takes on it will allow me flesh out those areas and hopefully save more! Wonderful, thanks *hugs* 

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Oh, I also meal plan (for at least 2 weeks). This helps a lot with DH working shift work. And when I go to the store, I know exactly what I need. I should only need one trip every 2 weeks. Once I'm home FT, I want to try to meal plan for a month, going to the store in 2 weeks for things that are perishable (milk, etc) and won't last a month.

I also make my own laundry detergent. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Quoting oredeb:

one thing is to ask at church, for things like music lessons, my kids play several instruments thanks to the church, people wanted to teach them and it didnt cost us anything. they were happy to pass along what they knew

there is so much on line for homeschooling, you dont need to go out and buy books or curr., its right on the internet,  and in the library!

making homeschool our life not just something we do from 9-12. they are always learning

barter with friends for books, or help, maybe someone can teach math while you can teach there kids spanish, etc

make sure you keep your things upgraded, i mean keep the oil changed in the pickup, check the lawn mower to make sure its in good repair, keep everything maintained, it saves lots of money!

buy everything with cash or barter for it

grow a garden, preserve your own food, compost, save seed

save on gas and shop once a month at the store and do all your errands then.

save money at the store, make most of your food from scratch-saves lots of money

buy in bulk

help a neighbor

GREAT IDEA!!!!

MommaChell
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Quoting MedicMommy:

Oh, I also meal plan (for at least 2 weeks). This helps a lot with DH working shift work. And when I go to the store, I know exactly what I need. I should only need one trip every 2 weeks. Once I'm home FT, I want to try to meal plan for a month, going to the store in 2 weeks for things that are perishable (milk, etc) and won't last a month.

I also make my own laundry detergent. 

I have tried the meal planning thing without success...I think it's my approach, i put my other priorities first, I also have a hard time committing to recipes *sigh*. It's been something I've been meaning to work on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)