Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seeking tips for toddler-K reading

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

I believe my children's reading skills are coming along nicely, but I'd like to know how some of you have achieved success with your own children in this area. I have no prior experience with beginning readers and I'm doing everything based on my own research. Any suggestions to help us along would be delightful. The experience that belongs to you Ladies is priceless, thanks!

by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frstldyhmsch
by on Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM

My children have learned well from my system! I created flash cards fo each letter and on the back of the card, there is a word to mimic the beginning sound as well as other sounds it may make ie. a (on front) & the word "apple" /a/ (on the back. I use repetition and we say " A, /a/, apple"...we do this for each letter. I use index cards cut in half vertically so that its easy to create words using the cards....example...we take one vowel & one ending sound per day (for beginners) so we may use "a" for the vowel and the ending sound "d"...now we have "ad" and we swap out the beginning letters (cards) to create new words (even nonsense words). Once that is perfected then make blend flash cards to go along with your other cards and make even bigger words (also at this higher level you can add the different sounds of certain letters on the back of cards (like long and short sounds...."c" can also make the "s" sound ect.). we love using this method....if you want more info just let me know! I'll be happy to help....by the way my daughter began reading at 3 yrs old with this method! (and it was on accident! I was teaching my son and she just caught on lol)

timon95
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM

we have hooked on phonice and phonics for leap pads. we honestly did not get far with those....only because it was a lot of using the computer and my computer was slow. and leap pads took a lot of batteries. i bought them B.O.B books and worked with them on those. our curriculum works a lot on phonics and beginning reading. hooked on phonics does work, they were getting for the short we did use it. they also enjoyed watching the leapfrog videos, it helped them remember letter sounds and blends. their leapster games helped and their TAG readers helped. I also read to them A LOT! we sign up every year for the summer reading program at our library and we read a lot. point to the words as you read to them. when i come to a word they can pronounce i would have them say it. I also created a popcorn word wall in their classroom. popcorn words are words that "pop" up a lot in books. i picked 5 words a week from the wall starting with the 2-letter words and we learned to spell and sound the words out every week. so, by doing this they learned to spell and say many words and recognize them in their books.

wright1212
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM
  •  For Toddlers:
  • Reading everyday of course. My kids learned letters from Fridge Phonics by LeapFrog. Also they LOVE baby you can read dvd's.
  • A good rule for choosing books is: Not too many words per page, good pictures, not too long. Toddlers thrive on rhyming and prediction books, like 'split milk'.
  • Also a -print rich environment- with words and reading everywhere. point out words all the time, have them help with grocery list and other writing you do.
  • Preschoolers
  • more words per page on books, but still not too long. I think Dr. Suess books push the limit of length. Use your childs cues, can they pay attention to the end.
  • Always ask questions about the book, who, what, where. This will help with comprehension and fluency later.
  • writing materials. ages 3-6 is where they learn to form letters, they needs lots of practice to get their hands ready for that difficult skill. then comes inventive writing. have them 'write something', but dont correct it, just write what they said it says on the bottom or back so you will know-plus its cute to track this progression.
  • so many good tv programs that help with reading too like seasme street
  • i like 'e books'. CDrom books that read the story by highlighting the words then some animation occurs.
  • use books for activities inspiration to help carry out the concepts.  for ex. the book 'song and dance man' you can put on a dance show, make instruments, or dwl that type of music to enjoy. we just read 'tuesday' and have joked for 2 days about when "pigs fly" :-)

Hope this helps a bit. Remember reading also is linked to speech/talking, writing, understanding. Its not a 1sided concept, so just showcase how its part of life.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM

This was my biggest fear with homeschooling. I didn't know how to teach DS to read. Well, he taught himself when he was 3. I think a lot of that had to do with 2 things.

The first...www.starfall.com The second, he LOVES watching SuperWhy on PBS. That show is awesome. He reads now, and still loves it. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:23 PM

In the early stages my kids learned from leap frog videos, time4learning a lot, starfall, and small beginner reader books (Bob books I believe they are called)  My 9yr old still has trouble reading even early books but he has learning disabilities so I just do what I can with him.  None of my boys are fans of reading but honestly the last year or so the biggest success with my 11 and 7yr old has been video games!  I have seen it greatly improve their reading, never thought I would say I'm a video game fan LOL 

For the little ones- if you have a wii you might check out their games, lots of things for the younger ones for learning.

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Im not much help since I am in the same worry as you.. But so far Ive picked up:

Read to your child every day- If they are enjoying it. Read.Read.Read!

Sing/Read Nursery Rhymes.. Read the same book often.. Repetitiveness is very good at this age.

Dont feel you have to read a book from start to finish. Feel free to stop & talk about the pictures. Play games like can you find the letter "x" or your name is Alex can you find all the a's on this page?! Once youve read the story a few times get silly "Jack & Mack went up the hill" and let your child correct you. Pick up the book upside down. Or have them fill in the blanks. Have your child rhyme words in the book.

Ask question. Discuss the books. Comprehension of what is read is important. Who cares if a child can read whats on a page if they dont understand what was read??

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I've heard great things about this lesson set as well

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Child-Read-Lessons/dp/0671631985

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Thank you SO much for your post all! My children's comprehension of the materials we read together are really impressive, so I'm currently confident in that area. I really like your suggestions for reading lessons, I'll def be utilizing them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)