Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to Group

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, I'm Sara. I'm a SAHM of cuties Drake 3 & Isis 4. My daughter is currently in preschool and LOVES it! However, I'm very interested in homeschooling. I'm trying to get info from other moms that have done it. How's it going? How is it for you? Can you get everything else done that needs to get done? How many hours a day do you teach? I have so many questions. I'm not sure the right way to go about it in the boards. Any advice is very welcome. Thanks to all of you for sharing! :)

by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM

First, welcome to the group! Homeschooling is so rewarding, for both "teachers" and "students"

The first thing you need to do is figure out what the laws are in your state. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp is a GREAT resource!

Next, remember, at the age they are,learning is FUN! They can learn so verymuch just through play. You'd be surprised how to work in lessons. DS had his first fraction lesson at 4, helping me make Rice Krispee Treats. I think the one thing new HSers try to do is make school look like home. You totally don't have to do that (although you can). Just remember, for now, there are so many ways to teach. It doesn't have to be from a book

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 2:49 PM

HSLDA should be your first stop. Each state makes their own homeschooling laws, so you'll need to know your state laws to know what age you'll need to start filing (some states, Like TX, no need to file at all) Some require certian subjects be taught, some requires a certian number of hours or days each year (In GA I have to do 180 days, 4.5 hours per day) some require testing, some don't.

I didn't have time for everything before I started homeschooling much less have time for everything now! LOL

But honestly, if you're a SAHM to begin with you can adjust to each new stage of life and learning gradually and you'll all adjust fine :)

Feel free to ask any specific questions that come up, welcome to our little group! welcome

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Welcome!!!  Definitely find out your homeschooling laws as the previous posters suggested!  Where I am (Florida) there aren't really any requirements other than a certified teacher evaluating the children at the end of the year and mailing in a form to the county stating they made progress. Or you have the option to go through an umbrella school where you simply submit attendance and they do the rest  Each state does things differently so knowing your laws is a good start to make sure you will be able to meet the requirements.  

I won't lie at times its hard to get everything done with schooling, etc.  But with your kids being so young, now is a perfect time to start!  Just do some fun, hands on learning... You will be suprised to find how much they can learn on their own!  Example.. my oldest has learned to read from video games, nothing else could interest him!!!  He had to learn to get to the next level.  My boys have been learning measurements, etc from cooking and my 9yr old watches tons of documentaries and is always amazing me with his knowledge. 

When I first started out I tried to make it very school like and that just didn't work.  Each year I've gotten a little more relaxed, my kids march to the beat of their own drum, that's for sure!  LOL

I also work so my husband helps on his days off and my sister (who helps babysit sometimes) helps us as well. 

Are you wanting to do a more traditional school approach or more relaxed? 

I hope we've helped some, please hang around as these ladies are amazing!  And feel free to PM me and we can chat more!!!

StampVamp
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Thanks Ladies for all your advice and generous info! I don't imagine a school room in my house, but rather using our home, environment, and outside resources like museums, libraries, etc to their fullest potential. AbundanceMagnet (love that name) said her schooling is more relaxed, how about everyone else? Do you teach in a block of time each day or do you break it up?

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 12:39 PM
We are pretty relaxed too. She knows what needs to be done by the end of the week and as long as we get it done I have no worries. We love schooling...it can be hard to get everything done but so amazing when you see it start clicking in your childrens mind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StefInIdaho
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:19 PM

HI!!! I am new to homeschooling as well. And, as well, my kids are 3 and 4. I will not be doing a classical approach... but not quite unschooling either... no schoolroom, no textbooks, even for math, at least for a few years.

We will doing Winter Promise 'I'm Ready to Learn" to start.... with Math Lessons for  Living Education thrown in for my 4 year old.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:33 AM
I've never heard of winters promise. I'll have to check that out. I have a 2 year old in addition to my 6. Year old. We are combining Charlotte mason with classical, leaning mostly toward cm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM

You will find most of us seem to lean more towards relaxed schooling. Of cours,e there are some that are more scheduled. You just find whatever works.

We are relaxed. Wyatt picks up so much from daily activities that just adding a tiny bit of structure makes it more school like

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN