Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's your parenting style?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok... this is a loaded question. lol  What is your parenting style?

My kids really have no bedtime... I'm very relaxed as long as they are quiet if I'm going to bed....

I let them get crazy dirty and I'm pretty relaxed all the way around with the things they do. 

My youngest has had no vaccines and we plan on keeping it that way. 

Umm... and I don't always force my kids to do things they don't want to do.  Example:summer camp has not turned out that great for them...its more like daycare than the kind of camp I thought it would be... it wasn't cheap and they knew what activities there would be before we signed up... so I am making them go still but I have let them take days home too.  Example.. my 7yr old was pretty pouty this morning and I drove him back home.  A lot of parents critisize for this... but I figure you know if I signed up for something I really didn't want to do I'd prob quit too. LOL 

I talk about pretty much everything in front of them.  I don't shelter them AT ALL!! 

My younger 2 still wind up in the bed with me most of the time....

I have recently become anti spanking. (this is just for me, your view is your view, I am not judging-just to make clear LOL)I've never been a big spanker but there were the occasional times when I saw it as an attention getter when I had exhausted all other means.. but after much discussion with other moms (friends) and hearing different views... I think it really is about my anger not so much what they are doing when it has gotten to a spanking point... and its so easy for something to go terribly wrong  when using that method...pop on the butt, lose footing, hit head, dead... so I do a lot of talking.  LOLOL

I'm sure I'll think of more later but I think this is def a good conversation starter

P.S.  NO JUDGEMENT towards each other please, to each his own, everyone has their ways, I just love to hear others views on things!!!  I'm big into learning, I think we can always learn something from each other.

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:54 PM

were pretty relaxed. i dont shelter them and they can pretty much do what they want. we dont really have a bed time. i play it by ear each day. if were super busy they stay up. if they are good they can stay up and if its non stop crying fighting they are in bed at 8. they dont stay up later then me. well to a point. my 7 yr old will lay in bed and read when she cant sleep. i do make them finish what they started. if they sign up for something they finish the season, they dont need to do it again but they need to finish what they start. we kind of play around their schedule, if they have energy we run outside and get creative and if they are mellow we might stay in an play a game. we arent real strick with eating or anything. i do need to watch what my son eats, but only cause he would pick junk n never eat dinner. my kids do have there shots, we potty train kids early, we co sleep when they want. its pretty much child lead learning and living,

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Quoting hailnbray:

were pretty relaxed. i dont shelter them and they can pretty much do what they want. we dont really have a bed time. i play it by ear each day. if were super busy they stay up. if they are good they can stay up and if its non stop crying fighting they are in bed at 8. they dont stay up later then me. well to a point. my 7 yr old will lay in bed and read when she cant sleep. i do make them finish what they started. if they sign up for something they finish the season, they dont need to do it again but they need to finish what they start. we kind of play around their schedule, if they have energy we run outside and get creative and if they are mellow we might stay in an play a game. we arent real strick with eating or anything. i do need to watch what my son eats, but only cause he would pick junk n never eat dinner. my kids do have there shots, we potty train kids early, we co sleep when they want. its pretty much child lead learning and living,

Cool sounds like we have a lot in common!!!

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

hailnbray
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM

figured id add were non spankers. we use love and logic and add in crazy punishments to fit the crime. for example if the kids are fighting i make them work together to do something like cleaning up all the toys in the yard or trying to make a snack or something

padavali
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I am pretty relaxed yet strict.  

I wait for DD to tell me she is ready for bed, fine if she is in the mud, covered head to toe

.  No spanking, I use time out.

I let her try pretty much anything unless i see danger in it.  

I expect her to get everything her best, be polite and use her maners.  

meals, won't cook her another meal unless i know it is something that DH and I like and she doesn't.  She will get a PBJ and that is her only option.  

For meals, she must try everything on her plate, at least one bite.  If she doesn't like it, I won't push it, as long as she tries it

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM
I'm goin to admit I shelter big time. I just feel like kids are forced to grow up too soon anymore.
The things I shelter them from are things like movies, music, bad influence friends as much as possible, poorly written books (except junie b jones. I love those books but the grammar drives me INSANE)

We don't spank, but raise our voices more than we would like.

Bed time is 8:30, occasionally 9:00 if something happens, and the 6 year old stayed up until 10:30 on the 4th which never happens.

We are big on structure and routine. Chores have to be done before play.

I am am generally a laid back mom, as long as you do what you NEED to do, you can do what you WANT to do (within reason)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Structured, yet fun is the best I can describe it

oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM

my kids had a bedtime depending on age

we'd always pray and sing and read some bible stories in the morning after we cleaned the rooms

we didnt have to sit at the table to eat

we would have a time where we would read together for an hour or so

no tv or soda when younger

ask lots of question

explore

play, dance sing run jump

i never had them vaccinated

they could get as dirty as they wanted, mud and all!

i spanked them, no time outs, no restrictions, (i'd rather just get it over with and move on!)

they have a chore they do everyday, has to be done

no back talking, smart aleck, rude talking, fighting, if they do they must kiss and make up and ask forgiveness of the injured party.

always have to look people in the eye when talking to them

as soon as they get up make their beds and clean their rooms

always had to clean up their own mess

theres more but my memory is faded now!hahaha

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Adding:

We love to get dirty, play with bugs, fish, etc
We stopped vaxing 2 years ago.
I rarely allow anyone to watch them except my mother.
I have yet to allow her to spend the night with anyone (just once with her cousin and that was a disaster) because everyone around here loads their kids with junk and allows them outside unsupervised until midnight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Quoting oredeb:

always have to look people in the eye when talking to them

This is something I'm still working on as an adult... I dont know why but its very hard for me to keep eye contact with people while talking to them...I have gotten better but I have to constantly remind myself.  Good skill/way to teach!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Quoting Boobah:

We don't spank, but raise our voices more than we would like.

So I'm not the only one... maybe we can work on this together!! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)