Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Ok... this is a loaded question. lol  What is your parenting style?

My kids really have no bedtime... I'm very relaxed as long as they are quiet if I'm going to bed....

I let them get crazy dirty and I'm pretty relaxed all the way around with the things they do. 

My youngest has had no vaccines and we plan on keeping it that way. 

Umm... and I don't always force my kids to do things they don't want to do.  Example:summer camp has not turned out that great for them...its more like daycare than the kind of camp I thought it would be... it wasn't cheap and they knew what activities there would be before we signed up... so I am making them go still but I have let them take days home too.  Example.. my 7yr old was pretty pouty this morning and I drove him back home.  A lot of parents critisize for this... but I figure you know if I signed up for something I really didn't want to do I'd prob quit too. LOL 

I talk about pretty much everything in front of them.  I don't shelter them AT ALL!! 

My younger 2 still wind up in the bed with me most of the time....

I have recently become anti spanking. (this is just for me, your view is your view, I am not judging-just to make clear LOL)I've never been a big spanker but there were the occasional times when I saw it as an attention getter when I had exhausted all other means.. but after much discussion with other moms (friends) and hearing different views... I think it really is about my anger not so much what they are doing when it has gotten to a spanking point... and its so easy for something to go terribly wrong  when using that method...pop on the butt, lose footing, hit head, dead... so I do a lot of talking.  LOLOL

I'm sure I'll think of more later but I think this is def a good conversation starter

P.S.  NO JUDGEMENT towards each other please, to each his own, everyone has their ways, I just love to hear others views on things!!!  I'm big into learning, I think we can always learn something from each other.

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Replies (11-17):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM
It is hard for me too. I start off looking in the eye, but then it feels weird after a little bit.
This sounds awful but I have a horrible time when speaking with someone who has a lazy eye because I always feel like I'm looking at the wrong one.

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

Quoting oredeb:

always have to look people in the eye when talking to them

This is something I'm still working on as an adult... I dont know why but its very hard for me to keep eye contact with people while talking to them...I have gotten better but I have to constantly remind myself.  Good skill/way to teach!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melyssa-R
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:16 PM

We are pretty relaxed.  No set bedtimes although we have general guidelines like before 10 during the week and weekends not so much but my daughter is almost 12 so it's not a huge deal.  We don't censor much either, within reason.  Generally discipline is a non-issue because my daughter is a really good kid and never gives us problems.  Knock wood!  LOL  

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Cool, I thought I was the only one that didn't do a bedtime. We are always reading so if we don't do it before bed it's no big deal. I don't spank, my son responds well to logic and being treated with respect. Usually when he does something "wrong" he doesn't realize it so he learns from it. We just play and have fun. We have woods behind us and love to explore nature.  

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I asked my 13 year old this question about me. He laughed and said "if Dharma from Dharma and Greg was a mom, it'd be you."

hmmm....so I suppose that kinda says it all. Can't say I disagree. 

katzmeow726
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM

We're a fair balance of strict and relaxed LOL.  Bed time is pretty set, but that's because they are absolutely cranky without enough sleep.  And, without fail, they wake up at 7am, it doesn't matter what time the twins go to bed.

We do vaccinate.  I'm the daughter of an infection control nurse...plust with one caregiver working in a hospital (my mom) one babysitter working at a residential facilty for elderly (my MIL) a DH and a father both working with the mentally ill/MR community...we're a very high risk group for illness.  So we definitely vaccinate.

I RARELy spank.  If I do, it is a last resort, and really not hard.  Just a "okay, do I have your attention now?"  Timeout and/or redirection works.

No tv at dinner, limited tv during the day, respect others, don't waste food, and love each other.  Sums it up pretty good lol

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM

We don't spank. I used to, but when he told me that it wasn't fair that I could spank him when he was bad, but it was wrong for him to hit me, even when I did something that was wrong....well, he was right. Plus, personally, I figure I want him to obey me out of respect, not fear. 

We have one rule. Be respectful. 

He does have a chore chart. He gets rewarded when it's mostlycomplete. He's not allowed to play any games where he shoots people. Shooting aliens is ok (I gave up that fight a long time ago) Alright, guess I have more than one rule.

We also have a "deal". If he yells, he goes to time out. If I yell (and I'm a yeller) I have to go to time out too. If I'm yelling, I've noticed that sometimes I hear myself, and I sound EVIL, but I can't stop. So I need a time out. I've drastically decreased my yelling. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Oh, and I let him have fun. I am learning to care less about what other people think about my child's behavior, as long as he's not disruptive. Yes, there is a fine line, but he has a lot of energy. He has to get it out somehow, and as long as he's respectful,I allow it

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN