Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hands on Grandparents???

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do any of you ladies have parents that are hands on grandparents?  Taking them places, doing things with them, always there to give you a break?  My kids don't :(  but my grandparents were that way with me.... I sometimes find myself envious of my clients children... as a lot of them are very hands on.. taking grandkids for the summer, etc...

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM

my mom takes my kids all the time. shes not that great with them or anything. hell im not sure she really raised me after watching her with my kids but i know they are safe and taken care of and they all enjoy it. shes lonely, they like to be spoiled and it works out.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM
My mom is the only one I trust to watch our kids. She takes them about once a month and helps me out if I have an appointment or something.
His parents go against what we ask deliberately every.single.time so we no longer allow them to be with our kids unsupervised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM

i do, my mom did that, anyway she could help she did

now when i have gkids i will do that!!!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

My mom isn't very into my kids :(  I mean she's ok with them... if she has them I feel they are safe but she doesn't do the "grandma' stuff :( 

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Both my mother and my mil are not capable. My mil has mild dementia and my mother is a functional alcoholic who I would never leave my son alone with. (Her mother, my Nana is amazing!)

My father passed away 3yrs before ds was born(didn't know him anyway) and fil passed 1wk after ds was born(he was a very unpleasant, unhappy man)

It's sad, my son would love a grandfather. And while he loves his grandmothers, he sort of understands that there is something wrong with them.

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:32 PM

My parents live next door so they see my kids a lot.

My dad doesn't watch them alone. He might could watch my oldest one alone, but that's all he could handle. My mom or my brother can watch both kids.

They usually go over their about 3-7 times a week, depending on everyone's plans for the week. They may stay 30 minutes or for hours! LOL

That's the only place my kids will go alone. They used to go to my in-laws' house but they didn't get the kids for like a whole year, so now they won't stay alone with them. We can (have) tricked them into staying for the day LOL but they refuse to spend the night anymore....

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:36 PM
:(

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Both my mother and my mil are not capable. My mil has mild dementia and my mother is a functional alcoholic who I would never leave my son alone with. (Her mother, my Nana is amazing!)

My father passed away 3yrs before ds was born(didn't know him anyway) and fil passed 1wk after ds was born(he was a very unpleasant, unhappy man)

It's sad, my son would love a grandfather. And while he loves his grandmothers, he sort of understands that there is something wrong with them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Currenly we live with my mom (my dad passed away when i was a teen) so id guess you say she is very involved. But she isnt the "grandma" type like taking her fun places, to the playground, reading her books or playing games/crafts.. She just loves to buy her toys/clothes & spoil her with candy & playing the "good guy" of the house (GRR!).

My MIL is wonderful. She loves taking DD places, doing crafts & reading charismatically to my dd. She tries to go places like the zoo, festivals & to other big things like that with DD if possible.

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM

My parents are not like that...but we are that way with our granddaughter. She's ALWAYS with me. We do field trips together, everything. She's my lil buddy...

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM

My parents are hands on, when they are here.  They live over a thousand miles away, so it's not every week, but when I had to have surgery and got sick last year, they came and got our girls and took them home with them for a couple of weeks so I could recover :).  They still had school and did lots of fun things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)