Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you keep a reading log?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have made a little notebook to keep track of what Julia reads and what I read to her, but I keep forgetting to put the books in it! Lol
Do you keep a log?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I haven't been but this is something I plan on doing this coming school year

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I found a site called shelfari.com that is really awesome! You can track the books you have read, want to read, what you thought of the book & can comment about the book (and read other comments)..I use this for myself. It will even tell you after being on for a while if you are reading more/less than you did the year before.

For my DD: It would be fun to keep a book log, I may officially start one soon. I think I would only write down the books we really enjoy though, all too often I come home with books that look good from the library only to want to return them after reading them once.... It would be nice for her to look back on & maybe use it for her own kids one day. I am huge scrapbooker/diary person. I have a list of all of her 1st foods for about 2months. Everything she did for the first 1-2yrs of life, so im sure Ill be adding a book log for her!

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I make a reading list for my boys as part of my planning processs for each school year. I save it in a folder on the computer and print a copy of each list. The list gets pasted in the front of each of their planners for them to be able to keep up with what is expected. And if for whatever reason we decide a book is not working, then we just find another to replace it and change the document. I always try to have plenty of books for back-up in our library or on my Nook.

mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

We keep one too, but it certainly isn't up to date nor does it have EVERYTHING that has been read.

I know my DH doesn't write down what he has read them at bedtime, and there are times the girls are in their playroom and instead of playing will be in the middle of a pile of books, reading to eachother. So I tend to keep track of loibrary books and things that I want them to read for schooling.

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I have decided I want to keep one... I found a reading log off of Donna Young's site and we will be using that. I have also decided that 2 books each month, readers from the library, will be a book report book. I found a form for that off of her site as well and will file those behind the reading log.

oredeb
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM

no never kept a log

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I've never thought of that, I love the idea of keeping a reading log. I keep one for my-self and it's fun to look back at what I've read.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Oh, as part of our portfolio requirement when we lived in WV we also had to keep record of how many WPM the kids could read. Although we do not have to do that here in TX, I still think it is a fun thing to keep track of, and a very simple way to asses their progress throughout the year.

Some families I knew would also record their children reading a particular book in the beginning of the year and reading the same book, or a harder one, at the end of the year. I always thought that was a neat idea as well as a great keepsake.

Melyssa-R
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM

My daughter (and me too) use Shelfari to keep track of books read.

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

I've never thought of that, I love the idea of keeping a reading log. I keep one for my-self and it's fun to look back at what I've read.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)