Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Borrowing Public School Books? (Maybe for Tx moms?)

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

Im just curious if anyone knows how to, or has borrowed the Textbooks from the Public Schools? Or is there a way of getting the schools detailed curriculum (thats in simple english- Ive read some stuff online that I didnt understand)

Is it even possible to do?

I am from Tx if that makes any difference.

I know alot of ladies would say not to stress, kids will learn. But I worry about my DD getting behind public schools. Id rather keep her on track or ahead --- Just incase something happens & we need to put her in school.. I would feel HORRIBLE if I sent her to school to find out she was behind & SHE would have to suffer & struggle because mommy didnt do her job right.

by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyHippie
by on Jul. 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM

hmmm....I'm not sure. I bet you could call the school and ask?

I've bought textbooks at Half Price Books before...you find them there periodically.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM

When we lived in West Virginia we used the public schools books the first year I pulled them out to homeschool. Once we had filed our letter of intent and recieved the approval letter, then that is what we used to be able to get the books. We had to go to the administrative building to get them.

One bit of caution in using their books, you do not get teacher manuals or answer booklets and no planning outline is done for you. So, that was a pretty hard year for us. I struggled due to lack of familiarity with the material and having to create all tests myself.

It is a valid concern you have for wanting to make sure your child meets standards. But every state has a guidline for that. HSLDA is a great resource for knowing what your child needs to know for each grade. And Texas has many websites to keep you up on what they would be learning in public school. And there is always the library. There are many, many books that can help you with keeping up with state standards.

Hey, I have "been there done that" so I know what you are going through. I am just saying that IF you cannot get the books you want from the school or you decide not to go that route, there are many options.

oredeb
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:46 AM

i thought all schools had a program where you could use their books and school at home! maybe check out hsld they might know something about it

maybe something here  http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/home.school/homeltr.html

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:31 AM
I considered using the textbooks at first for the same reasons. But then I realized I would be holding her back. In our situation she is already ahead of the public schools. The other ladies gave good advice. I'd say once you file the proper paperwork all you should have to do is call the school district and ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Thank You! This is perfect. I found a list of everything the PS uses & its listed by grade lvl.. Dont think we can borrow though, but I can check that we are covering what PS is, just at our own pace!

Quoting oredeb:

i thought all schools had a program where you could use their books and school at home! maybe check out hsld they might know something about it

maybe something here  http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/home.school/homeltr.html

2BOYS1GIRL2007
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I live in Texas and I know that our library has all the textbooks for all the grades that the area schools are using...I dont know if you can check them out but its worth seeing if your library has the same thing??

sew4fun
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I would check the library too. And if you want to do what the public schools are doing you can check out connections academy it is a "public school at home" type deal and it is free they even send you a computer ! and a voucher for Internet fees three times a year but this year it is only grades 3-12

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

MOMMATASHA1003----I know alot of ladies would say not to stress, kids will learn. But I worry about my DD getting behind public schools. Id rather keep her on track or ahead --- Just incase something happens & we need to put her in school.. I would feel HORRIBLE if I sent her to school to find out she was behind & SHE would have to suffer & struggle because mommy didnt do her job right.

This has always been a concern of mine!!!!  But then again my kids were behind when I pulled them out of school.... <ugh>

I would go to the local school board and ask.   I think its a pretty cool idea!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Aug. 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Quoting sew4fun:

I would check the library too. And if you want to do what the public schools are doing you can check out connections academy it is a "public school at home" type deal and it is free they even send you a computer ! and a voucher for Internet fees three times a year but this year it is only grades 3-12

We did Connections Academy for a while and really enjoyed it!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I don't know where you'd get the detailed list of what your public schools use because I find out what they use through the charter program we're in.  I've been able to find almost all of my children's text books (same one the public school uses) on Amazon, and sometimes I get lucky and can find the teachers manuals ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)