Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool Rooms/Areas

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

Where in your home do you homeschool?  Do you have a particular room or "area" where you do the majority of your homeschooling?  I'm sure that most of you "unschoolers" do not, and I understand that.  I'm just a little more "up-tight" and need organization and routine--lol!  (-:

Since we have a small table and a snack bar in our kitchen, I have converted my dining room (never was able to afford dining room furniture anyway) into a school room.  I'm looking for ideas on how to set up this relatively small space (10X11) as a school room.  I'd especially love to see pictures of your space, please!! 

Of course, we do our reading in the living room and hands-on learning outside.  I just want a space designated for doing written work and for storing and organizing all our school supplies and resources instead of having them all over the house.  I also don't want the children (12 and 9 years old) doing seatwork/homework in their own rooms--too many distractions.

Thanks for your input!!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 2:57 PM

We have a wall painted with chalkboard paint. Our school room is more or less used for storage and such. Schooling happens at the kitchen table

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM

No special area... mostly kitchen table, sometimes my bed if one needs quiet.   We used to have a school room, we are in a much smaller house now, no real place :)

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM

We painted the kitchen table in chalkboard paint! LOL! That's where it's done...and the breakfast/dining room (whatever the one by the kitchen is) has school posters that reflect what we're doing in school, etc. It changes a lot.

sometimes the stuff spills over onto the formal dining room walls....formal, being, in our house, the room with the ball pit in it for the toddler! LOL! Yeah, formal isn't a word we use often! ha!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I love the kitchen table idea!!!!  SOOOO COOL!!!!!

mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

We use the kitchen table and the couch. Our books are stored on a bookcase in the kitchen and we have also taken over the china cabinet for storage and workboxes.

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM
We have a space in the kitchen/living room
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM

i have a school room!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM
We have a 10x11 room that was chelsey's room. They decided to share and I wasnt going to complain. :)
I have an L shaped desk, then two school desks, a bookshelf, and a toy box from ikea. Then we store most stuff in the closet. I'll get pics up. I want to paint and organize before fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM

My son has a table in our living room that faces a window where I will put a big dry erase board. I am a big fan of dry erase.

Melyssa-R
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I had a dedicated "school room" when my daughter was smaller complete with maps and pictures on the walls, a school desk, white boards, the whole shebang but after elementary or so it seemed not necessary any more.  She's going into 7th grade and prefers to curl up on the sofa or her bed most of the time to do school work unless we need a table then we work in the kitchen.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)