Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A little vent

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
As I've previously posted my kids are going to our city summer camp...My 9yr old has had issues with it from day one...some of it is him having sensory issues and as of late some is pretty legit...mean kids lots of yelling yada yada. My 7yr old and 11 yr old were really enjoying it for the most part until a few days go. 7yr old cried so hard on the way yesterday morning I brought him back home for the day, no real explanation. Today my 11yr old who (not playing favs all seriousness) is always respectful to adults, compassionate for others feelings and willing to help any way he can with anything and is quick to admit his faults and apologize came home very bummed. He's one of those kids if it really bothers him there is goood reason if you know what I mean... anywho finally just a bit ago he blurts out he got 15 minutes taken off his bowling time tomorrow because he sat in the wrong seat on the bus on his way back from a field trip today but he never heard the lady say go to the back..his friend in same seat and other kids got in trouble too and all seemed clueless according to him. I called the friends mom...same deal unsure of why the got in trouble as they never heard the lady say go to the back of the bus. My son says its too much like school...they don't talk to you like people. So now all 3 are over it and its only week 3 of 10...and umm it wasn't cheap. Don't want to make them go at this point...I hate the attitude that its ok to talk and treat children like they are idiots..sometimes we don't hear things and it has to be repeated..why should it be any different for children? Wouldn't "keep moving to the back" have worked just as well? All growing up I was talked down to by adults teachers you name it..they prob didn't even know they were doing it was just a tone...and I still have issues because of it. I've felt stupid, afraid to ask questions, eye contact issues, anxiety at confrontation, and a hard time standing up for myself... my kids do not have these issues they feel so free to express their thoughts, question, learn, and I love it! I dont know maybe I'm just not your average Joe lol. I am going to talk to the camp staff in the morning...will have to see what happens...thanks for the vent though ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I really like you, and your boys are going to grow into wonderful men! I also have seen the way adults treat children, and it's disturbing. What's so hard about looking them in the eye and talking to them like the intelligent beings that they are?

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Wow. Just...wow.

Hugs, momma. It really stinks when you think your kids will love something, but the adults involved ruin it

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MommaChell
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM

What a bummer for you and your boys. I hope you can get something worked out in your favor, if not, at least you'll have the experience to reap. Sorry it's not going well. I'll def pray for you about it. Bests~

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM
That is just awful. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say about it. I dont get why people who don't like kids work with them.
I personally hope you get a refund, even if partial rather than sending them back, unless it's just this one lady. (((hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

tsk tskShame on those adults for treatign the kids so badly!

oredeb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

can you call and complain?

i dont know why adults can't remember what its like to be kids!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Thanks for all the kind words ladies and for being there for me in my time of need!!!  I really appreciate it!   I spoke with the director and she spoke with my boys telling them her door was always open to please come talk to her if they are ever upset about anything or even if they just want to talk, and if a staff calls them out on something they didn't do to speak up for themselves and/or come to her.  She was really wonderful yesterday.  She told my kids they are always good listeners so if my oldest said he didn't hear the lady she believes him 100%.   My 11 and 7yr old feel much better about it now.  My 9yr old still does not want to go but with his sensory issues I think he's just really OVER IT!  I have to give the director credit on this one too because when he wanted to come home yesterday because he didn't want to go bowling she tried so hard to talk him into staying, having french fries with her, and just talking.   I'm glad the director is cool, gets it now hopefully staff will follow in line :)  Again thanks ladies!!!!

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:06 AM

That's great :) I'm so glad to hear that things are better. Hopefully the director will get all her peeps in line. The kids need to have fun in a safe evironment, that's the bottom line. It sounds like the director is pretty amazing!

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN