Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do we have any homeschooling moms who were homeschooled?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM
  • 17 Replies

I've met very few homeschooling moms who have actually been homeschooled themselves. Perhaps it's because I'm simply not networked enough. I've come into contact with a handful who's husbands were homeschooled at one point or another. I can't help but wonder what previously homeschooled homeschooling moms takes are on homeschool life (lol, that was a mouth full!). What's you're spin on homeschooling and why you choose to stick with it?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Michelle914
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Yes, I was home schooled and chose to home school my daughters!  I went to public school for first grade and was home schooled after that.  We were the first family to do that in our area and the public schools didn't know what to do with us!  When my parents informed the school that they would be home schooling, they were told that there would be lots of testing to make sure we were keeping up but then nothing was ever done.  They had nothing in place for home schoolers at that time.  It worked out well for us.  I went to our local college and graduated with a GED.  I was very happy with the way we did things and so far things are going great with my daughters, too!

Even with that background, I feel completely new to home schooling because everything is so different now.  I have been researching all the regulations, testing requirements, etc. to make sure I'm "dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's"!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:44 AM

My mom pulled me out of school in 7th grade due to bullying.  The first year we had a set curriculum, she graded papers, etc but by that point I could pretty much teach myself (I was an A student in school)....... after that I did a correspondence school through the mail all on my own.  So yep, you could say I was homeschooled!  LOL

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM

What a great post! DH was homeschooled, until he was old enough to drive, so he could drive himself to the Mennonite High School. Even with all our discussions about whether or not to HS, he never mentioned it...I found out from my FIL!

I was not homeschooled.I can honestly say, I wish that,if I had a different mother, I would have been. My mom did HS my younger brother...she did an online course thing for him. They did absolutely nothing, but 2 weeks before it was all due, I had to doit all. (Brother is 10 years younger)

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

saltyalley1227
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I was homeschooled from K-8th grade.  My son is only 18 months but I am planning on and already am homeschooling him.  He already knows the color blue, can count to 3, and his alphabet.  My brother and I were involved in a lot during the times we were homeschooled to still have interaction with a lot of other kids but the homeschooling also made us better at communicating with adults.  Once I went to high school I was amazed at how some of my piers just had no experience having a normal conversation with adults, and no desire to.  I think this has helped a lot with my career as I am the bottom of the todum pole (sp)  And still have formed friendships with my co-workers who are all a good 20 years older than me. 

We also however were very heavily involved in church groups, played with the many neighborhood kids our age, and had many cousins our age.

My little brogther, however, has been less well-adjusted and did not have cousins his age, kids in the neighborhood his age, wasnt involved in too many groups, and we changed churches to the kids ministries were highly lacking.  Only now is he starting to be able to function comfortably and normal in public without "seeming home-schooled" If you know what I mean.  I still think homeschooling is best but I think its important kids see kids besides their brothers and sisters.

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM
I wish I would have been.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bellableu87
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Me too. My DH was and he had a bad experience with it. I was shocked when he said he wanted our kids hs-this was before I even voiced my wanting to HS. He had or still has reading problems and his mom pulled him out of PS at 2nd grade and didnt keep on him about school work.He knew his mom did it wrong and knows I can do it the right way :> So I am going to do my very best!

Quoting Melissa6705:

I wish I would have been.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 11, 2011 at 7:41 AM
I was public schooled, until I went to a technical school in my junior and senior year. I was a very good student, and would have loved being home schooled. It would have made so many things much easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I homeschooled for high school.  Best thing my mom ever did for me!  I would have been in seventh heaven homeschooling all my life. 

katzmeow726
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I was public and private schooled...which is why we're going to homeschool!

bowiegirl
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I went to public & private then mom homeschooled me/us from my 6th grade year- on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)