Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do we have any homeschooling moms who were homeschooled?

Posted by   + Show Post

I've met very few homeschooling moms who have actually been homeschooled themselves. Perhaps it's because I'm simply not networked enough. I've come into contact with a handful who's husbands were homeschooled at one point or another. I can't help but wonder what previously homeschooled homeschooling moms takes are on homeschool life (lol, that was a mouth full!). What's you're spin on homeschooling and why you choose to stick with it?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Replies (11-17):
faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM

I had an unusual childhood, I was an only child and my mother was a single mom as well as an eccentric hippie who made her living as an artist. I started school when I was 7 and was in the first grade, skipped kindergarten. I only went to school from Sept to Dec because after the new year my mother and I would leave the country to travel for about 4to6 months. I remember at the beginning of every school year I had to take a placement test. I always passed and made it to the next grade. We stopped traveling when I was 13 & I never did well in school after that. I dropped out in my junior year of hs. I got my GED at job corps and eventually worked as an activity coordinator in a skilled nursing facilitiesspecializing in long term/dementia care. I left my job voluntarily when my son turned 2 to be a full time sahm.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Wow...I would love to sit and have coffee with you to hear some of your stories! Do you find yourself parenting differently than your mom did? Did you ever feel like you didn'thave stability? (I'm totally not criticizing, I'm genuinely curious)

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to talk about it here,or, you know, to tell me to butt out

Quoting faeriemom1972:

I had an unusual childhood, I was an only child and my mother was a single mom as well as an eccentric hippie who made her living as an artist. I started school when I was 7 and was in the first grade, skipped kindergarten. I only went to school from Sept to Dec because after the new year my mother and I would leave the country to travel for about 4to6 months. I remember at the beginning of every school year I had to take a placement test. I always passed and made it to the next grade. We stopped traveling when I was 13 & I never did well in school after that. I dropped out in my junior year of hs. I got my GED at job corps and eventually worked as an activity coordinator in a skilled nursing facilitiesspecializing in long term/dementia care. I left my job voluntarily when my son turned 2 to be a full time sahm.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I wasn't but several of our children are already home educating our grandchildren.  Our grand babies are all aged 11 down to newborn.

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Wow that is so cool. I too would love to hear.

Quoting MedicMommy:

Wow...I would love to sit and have coffee with you to hear some of your stories! Do you find yourself parenting differently than your mom did? Did you ever feel like you didn'thave stability? (I'm totally not criticizing, I'm genuinely curious)

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to talk about it here,or, you know, to tell me to butt out

Quoting faeriemom1972:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ruth372
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I was homeschooled. from 7th through 12th.  I have always felt like my parents rescued me.  There was never a question of whether or not I would homescool my own kids.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I was homeschooled from kindergarten through 9th grade. I was put in a private school from 10th to 12th. The ps really was a group of parents and teachers that homeschooled. They came together and helped each other. I would have put my daughter there but they closed down.

I chose to homeschool my children because the public school, here, really isnt that great. I've had children say to me they wanted to be homeschooled because they can't read. There are rarely field trips and if there is one it isn't learning based at all.(ex. a historic site) I feel I can give my daughter a more enriched learning experience than they can.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Thanks for sharing Ladies, you've given me a better perspective. I also love getting to know you all better; just great stuff!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)