Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math Comparison - Question

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM
  • 17 Replies

Thank you to MedicMommy for the link to the math curriculum review site.  I didn't want to hijack her post so thought I would start a new thread.  We will begin homeschooling our 5 kiddos this year.  We actually will be easing in to it beginning next week. 

My 11yo DS would be going into 5th grade had we decided to leave our children in the PS system.  He struggles with math and still uses his fingers to calculate basic addition and subtraction.  Multiplication facts are still very much hit and miss.  He has ADHD and took medication for this while in PS.  We are hoping to avoid medication now that he will be home.  However, that approach does mean that he typically has a very short attention span and has difficulty following multi-step directions. 

Because he was in foster care until the age of 8, DS bounced around a lot and missed a great deal his first few years of school.  We plan to start basically at the beginning in math and hope to help him grasp concepts he might have missed the first time.

I'm looking for recommendations on a math program that might be well suited for DS.  We've looked at many programs and so far and like Math-U-See, Math on the Level and Singapore Math.  We are, however, open to any suggestions that you guys might have.

Thanks!

Tracie

by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melissa6705
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:54 AM
I have no idea but good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I would say any math program that uses manipulatives would work. (Math U See, Saxon math) Remember, one of the best parts of HSing is that you can adapt the curriculum you choose to meet your needs. You can HS your child at their level, not their age.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I would highly highly suggest MATH U SEE.  My children too struggle with attention spans, missing basics, etc and Math u see has been such a blessing!  They are 9 and 11 and have picked it up so well they basically teach themselves now, it amazes me!  Its very hands on and they love the counters.  They spend time building things with them when we aren't doing Math as well.  :)

cedailey
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:19 PM

For your situation, I would go for math-U-see.  I would NOT use Saxon.

randyxtracie
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Thank you ladies for your input!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I strongly encourage you to use Math-U-See.  I believe it would suit your child perfectly.  I have recently ordered it for my daughter who also struggles in Math (8th grade).

Saxon Math, although loved by many, was very boring to my daughter and I.

Singapore Math is quite advanced.  I've ordered this one for my son who got bored with ABeka and needs a challenge.

Just my opinion.  Hope it helps.

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I think Math-U-See will send out a little demo pack? have you looked at all their videos? They have some on You-tube as well...

We will recieve our Math-u-see in a FEW DAYS!! *WOOHOO!* Im very excited about it & cannot wait to start! :)

If you decide to order math-u-see & their website wont let you order manipulatives, just call! We thought it would be a while since ive been hearing they are on back order.. but obviously they are not since we just ordered on FRI & tracking says it will be here on WED!

Also you can call & talk to them about what lvl to put your son in. It may be good to start at a lvl that is easy for him so he can easily grasp things & get a stronger/better foundation.. If its easy it will boost his confidence as well! :-)

Best of luck with whatever you choose. Just remember you can always change if what your doing is not working!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:24 AM
Good luck!

This is our first year homeschooling and we will be using Saxon 1. You guys make math u see sound so awesome! I chose not to use MUS becuause everyone said it was teacher intensive because you have to watch a video before every lesson to know how to teach it. And it seemed like using the same manipulatives would be boring. I may try it after Saxon 1 if we do not like it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Quoting Boobah:

Good luck!

This is our first year homeschooling and we will be using Saxon 1. You guys make math u see sound so awesome! I chose not to use MUS becuause everyone said it was teacher intensive because you have to watch a video before every lesson to know how to teach it. And it seemed like using the same manipulatives would be boring. I may try it after Saxon 1 if we do not like it.

Oh gosh no... I haven't had to watch a demo yet...or use a teacher manual.  But we have also only done primer, Alpha, Beta and Gamma... we aren't up to the really hard stuff yet.  I'm glad the videos are there though as there will prob come a time.......... and the counters, the kids love em!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)