Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thank you to MedicMommy for the link to the math curriculum review site.  I didn't want to hijack her post so thought I would start a new thread.  We will begin homeschooling our 5 kiddos this year.  We actually will be easing in to it beginning next week. 

My 11yo DS would be going into 5th grade had we decided to leave our children in the PS system.  He struggles with math and still uses his fingers to calculate basic addition and subtraction.  Multiplication facts are still very much hit and miss.  He has ADHD and took medication for this while in PS.  We are hoping to avoid medication now that he will be home.  However, that approach does mean that he typically has a very short attention span and has difficulty following multi-step directions. 

Because he was in foster care until the age of 8, DS bounced around a lot and missed a great deal his first few years of school.  We plan to start basically at the beginning in math and hope to help him grasp concepts he might have missed the first time.

I'm looking for recommendations on a math program that might be well suited for DS.  We've looked at many programs and so far and like Math-U-See, Math on the Level and Singapore Math.  We are, however, open to any suggestions that you guys might have.

Thanks!

Tracie

by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Replies (11-17):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

I think Math-U-See will send out a little demo pack? have you looked at all their videos? They have some on You-tube as well...

They will send you a demo as far as I know too but honestly it doesn't do it justice.  We found the demo boring and that's why we didn't do math u see from the beginning... talking to other people is what made us make our decision :) 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Mom2Kaylie
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Look into Right Start Math

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM
Now I am wanting to use MUS. Haha. Noooo I must at least TRY Saxon before moving on. I spent $75 on the whole "kit"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessdmommy
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I would also recommend Math U See - i have children w/ ADHD, aspergers and high funcitoning autism and they have done very well with it (saxon was a nightmare for them...to many problems on the page and too small of a font). there are dvd's to watch, but you can actually have the children watch at the same time and learn the lesson that way (I honestly don't always use the video, especially at the lower levels), as it isn't too hard to teach. at the higher levels, they watch the video and let me know if they have questions. Unlike saxon, if they do well on the first exercise after the concept is introduced, they can go to the test and be done...we don't do all lessons, unless they need the practice. i have used many programs, and this has definitely worked best for us, both in lower level and high school...i hope you find what works best for yours!

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I think y'all have sold me on MUS. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:14 AM
Saxon for sale, any takers? Hehee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bowiegirl
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM

I totally agree. I have used all 3 also.

Quoting JoyfulMommyof2:

I strongly encourage you to use Math-U-See.  I believe it would suit your child perfectly.  I have recently ordered it for my daughter who also struggles in Math (8th grade).

Saxon Math, although loved by many, was very boring to my daughter and I.

Singapore Math is quite advanced.  I've ordered this one for my son who got bored with ABeka and needs a challenge.

Just my opinion.  Hope it helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)