Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading outloud

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM
  • 6 Replies

DS's K5 teacher taught his class to read usingtheir fingers dragging across the page. When DS reads outloud, if he "forgets" to do that, he reads at a really good pace, and he doesn't loose where he is. But when he does it, he slows down A LOT and even stumbles on some words that he normally wouldn't.

Any ideas on how to get him to stop using his finger?

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM

before you have him stop using his finger how is his understanding of the story. one of the classes i student teach in using this in order to get the students to slow down and understand the story.

now if that isnt an issue with him either maybe try keeping his hands busy while he reads. can he use a rubber band or something to keep his hands busy.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Thanks :) He actually has good comprehension, I honestly hadn't thought about keeping his hands busy. It's the simple things...duh. LOL

Quoting hailnbray:

before you have him stop using his finger how is his understanding of the story. one of the classes i student teach in using this in order to get the students to slow down and understand the story.

now if that isnt an issue with him either maybe try keeping his hands busy while he reads. can he use a rubber band or something to keep his hands busy.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

My 7 year old has to ALWAYS have something in his hands to fidget with to pay attention! ANother reason PS wasn't a good fit for him...

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM

could him keeping track of the line with a piece of paper help? He would be able to focus on the line at his own pace but not have the distraction of all the other words? and he would still need his hand to hold/move the paper in place.

From what ive read the faster a person can read the better FOR comprehension. If you are focusing too long on a word, or a sentence its kinda of an overload & the overall point gets lost in reading the individual words (hindering comprehension)..

I know when I was taught to read they taught speed reading (2nd grade?), training the eye to skim past the smaller words (is, the, a..) and spend time on read the larger words. Your brain/eye will read the word without you actually having to think about it... And the more you read the better you get, the more words you learn to skim past... Reading faster.. yada-yada.. lol.

If memory serves me right we started with the finger, then paper guide. then used a finger just at the corner of the line in case you lost your place or needed to go back & re-read the sentence, then nothing

Ok.. LOL.. Sorry for all the chattiness! :)

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:32 PM

HA HA I like chatty :)

I'm definitely thinking we will go with something in the hand. It's this habit that is making me bonkers! Honestly, when he was taught that in the first place, it was another nudge for me towards homeschooling. 

oredeb
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:54 PM

practise without using the finger, being consistant will help eventually!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)