Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sick days

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

We all get 'em. What do you do? Do you not count it for attendance? Do you make it up another day? Do you do enough work that day to make it count as a school day?

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Since we are approaching HS from a "goal" standpoint, I could see applying it towards health or science. Maybe having a conversation about how we feel, what makes it better, etc

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!

oredeb
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM

even on sick days we try to do at least our lang arts and our math, if we miss the whole day its no big deal, we just cont. when everyone is well again.

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:43 AM
She hasn't been sick since we started HS...it matters how bad it is for what we do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 12:45 PM

On sick days we usually do a lot of Mightbook Jr, Netflix documentaries, read alouds, etc and either still count it (if we get our time in) or use it as just hours to put with another day to make a full day somewhere

(I have to do 4.5 hour days-so say we get 2 hours done on a sick day, then and hour on a Saturday and and 1.5 hours on another Satuday-then once we've collect an 'extra' 4.5 hours I mark down another school day on our attendance...)

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Thanks for that link! How have I not seen that before?

Quoting SimplySonita:

On sick days we usually do a lot of Mightbook Jr, Netflix documentaries, read alouds, etc and either still count it (if we get our time in) or use it as just hours to put with another day to make a full day somewhere

(I have to do 4.5 hour days-so say we get 2 hours done on a sick day, then and hour on a Saturday and and 1.5 hours on another Satuday-then once we've collect an 'extra' 4.5 hours I mark down another school day on our attendance...)

cedailey
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Depends on what's wrong.  If the illness has them sleeping or on the toilet, I call it a sick day. Fever, rash, cough, etc we do full work load.  For vomit, I have been known to give a kid a basin, cancel anything hands on (handwriting, science experiment) and read the lessons to them.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM

We don't have a set amount of days we have to school so if anyone gets sick it is no big deal.

nikki0522
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

We will either just take it off and make it up later or I'll pop in an education vidoe or two and call it a school day.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM

We just don't even worry about it... :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)